millertimeunc

Any airplane owners out there?

Having owned a Pitts S2A... and used it for skydiving purposes (www.invertedair.com), I think I can give you a few pointers on the Pitts.

First consideration is your overall time. If you don't have any tailwheel experience, don't think about it. If you don't have a lot of flight time, consider something else. The Pitts is a Full On aerobatic aircraft. That's it. It's not good for anything else but aerobatics. It's cramped, you can't carry anything, it doesn't carry much fuel, not too many people can fit comfortably in it, it's claustrophibic and other than aerobatics, that's it... you're not going to do much else with it. Also, keep in mind this aircraft has the highest accident rate of any current production aircraft built (and most are fatal). You got to have your collective crap together when you are flying it because doing something improper without the proper training (like an uncoordinated turn base to final) can end up in a spin and ultimately a bad ending.

And if you're thinking about IFR... you've got to be kidding unless IFR is "I Follow Roads". There is no room to add anything for instrument purposes and quite frankly the aircraft is too twitchy to be trying to fly instruments. Consider a Decathlon if you are wanting an all around airplane that can carry something, do acro and go for a 100 dollar hamburger once in a while.

Now... all that said, the Pitts was probably the most fun aircraft I ever owned. If you want to rock and roll and hang in the straps and just have a good time... this is the airplane for you. The Pitts is kinda like owning a Ferrari. They're expensive, there is no real reason to own one, they're uncomfortable and there's really no reason to fly it unless you are going to tear up the sky with it. Plus, there is a certain amount of penis envy that goes on when you roll up on the ramp in a Pitts and get out wearing a chute. You WILL be the center of attention where every you land unless Kirby Chambliss or Sean Tucker are already on the ramp.

I'd own an A before I'd own a B just because of the difference in gas but the prices are depressed right now on all Pitts' due to the economy. Figure on 50-60 for an A...70-140 for a B and 150 up for a C.

The airplanes are bulletproof and only have a few AD notes. If you are serious, get someone that knows the airplanes to do a good pre-purchase and once you get it, go spend 30 hours with an instructor doing all the different spins and combinations of spins and entries to keep yah from killing yourself. I think that's it but if you have any other questions, drop me a line at [email protected] or give me a call 217-741-9110.

Mark
Life's the Pitts then you jump one.

Nice airplane... I have around 4-500 hours in a G22... Not aerobatic capable... but definitely a good xcountry aircraft. My only dislikes about the airplane are: Hotter than hell anytime the temp is above 70 due to the greenhouse type windows and no manual trim control.

If you have a shot, go for the turbo with air conditioning.
Life's the Pitts then you jump one.

I'm looking at buying a plane in the next few years. I want something fun, relatively inexpensive to own, aerobatic, IFR capable, and with an extra seat for a passenger. I'm thinking about a 2 seat Pitt's Special. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Your requirements are not mutually exclusive but will take some thoughtful consideration to fulfill.

My advice to you is to decide what kind of flying you really intend to do and seriously consider your typical mission profile. XC & IFR in a Pitts?!?!? You will tire of this. I guarantee it.

Experimental aircraft will afford you the greatest amount of leeway as far as capabilities go. The advancements in avionics, auto-pilots, indication systems, etc will allow for a far more capable ride than the mandated obsolescence required by Type Certificated aircraft. The ability to install non-TSO'd equipment in an experimental a/c is only one of the major benefits. The ability to use an a/c to visit areas inaccessible by other means is one of the great joys of flying. Don't limit yourself by buying an a/c that is inflexible. Compromise and remember that taking a weekend trip with only a pair of socks and underwear is not going to go over too well with the girlfriend. (shop for your required useful load seriously and do some honest math exercises when doing so)

Glassair -vs- Glastar
Pitts -vs- Waco
Decathalon -vs- Husky
Vans -vs- Rans

good luck...
jon