skydiver30960

Wife's friend just FUBAR'd my laptop

"I'm just going to check up on my email and Facebook."

Fak. I have a crappy weekend at work, we get snowed into the hospital so I end up sleeping on an ER stretcher in an angiography prep room (it was like camping, but with MRSA!), the transfer case on my Tahoe craps the bed on the way home, and when I finally GET home I have an infected computer.

The only thing that worked was a complete Dell Restore (to the original configuration when the laptop was manufactured, uh, OH YEAH FIVE YEARS AGO)

Spent the morning getting all the programs I've installed and used since (i.e. everything) back up and running.

Now, I get to completely rewrite the CV and resume I'd been working on all last week.
[:/]

Elvisio "rant over" and "Facebook is death" Rodriguez

AVG.
;)

Yeah, no shit. Actually, it must've been something relatively fresh because the first antivirus scan missed it, then a scan after I updated the definitions caught it. It said it had it quarantined, then when I restarted the computer things just went downhill. I think it jiggled some of my administrator settings or something.

Oh well, back up and running, resume is almost retyped.

Elvisio "hands off my keyboard, dammit" Rodriguez

now I have a 'special' laptop that NEVER gets plugged into the net. ;)

that kind ?

Dell 'Studio' that I got @ WallyWorld on sale a while back.

I use it for music, photo & video stuff as well as most of my work records, parachute team contacts / contracts etc.

No problem to download anything I need out of it for 'net' usage...even with the crappy OS it works fine and the secure things in it ARE secure. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~