Earlybirdmel

Concerns after doing a Charity jump

Hi all, Maybe a daft question but just wanted to ask if the following is "normal"?
You decide to do a tandem skydive for a charity, not really giving the implications of the actual jump any though. Its something you "think" you will enjoy, get it booked and then only really think about getting as much money raised as possible. The day arrives you feel nervous but excited by the whole thing, you do the jump and its better than anything you could of imagined. You loved it so much you want to take up skydiving, you cant think of anything else and watch your dvd a 100 times. You cant afford to do a course immediately but plan to do one in a few months time when pennies allow. Meanwhile you start reading and finding out as much as you can and its only then that you realise the very real risks involved, reading about the accidents and fatalities etc.... you have a family, kids, although not babies anymore, and suddenly you start to have concerns, thinking "what if"... Having loved my first jump so much, is it "normal" for concerns and worries to build up? Is it much better "mentally" if you can start a course immediately after jumping the first time? It almost feels a bit like falling off a bike or horse- you have to get right back on asap otherwise you never will?

[email]The horse thing...not necessarily true...of course I already had my license but I was off for two years due to losing two jobs in two years, but if you don't get nervous on a jump run your probably not human. I am not 'scared' any more but having an elevated heart rate is completely normal. It just depends on what your priorities are in life...me personally...I don't have any plans on being old...in my opinion...old people suck ass. They can't drive for shit and usually get away with farting in your vicinity just because they're old. If I have to live while someone else takes care of me then just pull the plug. Besides...if all you think about it is your family and worries constantly creep into your mind, then perhaps this isn't the sport for you. But only YOU can decide that.

edit to add: all old people DO suck, but if you're old AND a skydiver...you get an exemption from me for being geriatric.

Cheers Regulator, I must admit when I did the jump, it was the first time in many years that I actually felt a little "selfish" as during freefall I just kept thinking "wow, i'm doing this, I feel fantastic and Im doing this for me!" I had a half decent education, speak fluent Spanish etc.. and although dont regret for a moment having my kids and love them to bits, have spent 20 years always juggling crap jobs with childcare etc... and have always put myself last. I know thats what you do as a parent but with my youngest now 9, well that jump just made me feel like a new person. I'm hoping the "fear" I am currently beginning to feel will make me a safety consious skydiver. I also have always said that I wouldn't want to end up getting old with my kids or a home having to take care of me. I hope I have the right attitude as do believe that life is for living and its no good having regrets when your old, I just want to be able to balance the risks and face this building fear and overcome it.

I'm still a bit nervous each time I get within 3 miles of the DZ. A couple deep breaths, and the first sight of a smiling jumper coming in from the LZ to the hangar and those things go away pretty quickly.

The key is to relax and focus on listening, learning, and asking questions. It's a safe sport with the right attitude and attention to detail (or so I'm told in these here forums ;) )

I've seen a few people walk away from the loading area because they had a bad feeling about a jump. That's fine. Do what you feel comfortable with. Everyone has fears and concerns, that's what makes it so amazing when you land safely on that 25th jump and youre instructors demand you buy beer and party with them.

...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

You are more likely to be killed or injured driving to and from work than you are skydiving. Go to USPA.org and they have all the stats. Yes, people die in our sport but they also die in other sports as well. We try to mitigate the risk.

Not to be a dick but...Skydiving is dangerous. Much more so than driving to work. For many the risk is well worth the reward but don't try and make it seem like tennis.
But, there are ways to make it safer than the numbers indicate if you are super worried about it, you can take it slow (kind of). Jump a big square canopy even if everyone tells you it will be boring (they will). Don't turn low. Don't let anyone run into you under canopy and don't run into anyone else's. Don't jump in large groups or high winds and check and maintain your gear.
If you do all of that it probably is safer than driving to work.

Problem is, after jumping out on airplane becomes "normal" your safety concerns are rapidly eclipsed by the fun you are having and you forget the above or move on to something riskier to get the rush back, see 'risk homeostasis' According to the numbers, bad shit probably won't happen to you even so but to some people it does. And that will never change.

I don't have enough experience to give you any technical advice but i will say from a philosophical view point; bad shit WILL eventually happen to you whether you skydive or not, that's life. Statistically speaking you are most likely to NOT encounter any major problems even after thousands of jumps. And in reality skydiving is some of the most fun this world has to offer, its nothing short of [Keanu Reeves voice on] fucking amazing! and my journey has just begun. I would highly recommend getting at least an A licence which won't expose you to too much risk and you can get a taste of it and give it a fair shake. If you do that it will change you forever, in a good way, whether you continue on or not. But don't ever forget that jumping out of airplanes is a risky endeavor and could kill you in many ways you could never think of, it ain't tennis! Good Luck!

From your reply I think you'll be just fine. Just remember the movie 'wanted' use the elevated heart rate to your advantage to be more aware of your surroundings in freefall and under canopy. It's your body preparing you for 'danger'. The more your kids get older the more 'selfish' you will let yourself become. It's a natural emotion just like being afraid for your life while skydiving. Now you need to do just one thing....Get yer ass in ze air!

Blue Skies my friend

Thanks Guys for all your advice. The "passion" that you all feel for the sport really does come across on this forum. I am going to aim at getting my A license and for the foreseeable future will be more than happy flying a large canopy etc... and minimising my risk as much as possible. Once my youngest has left home I may decide to taking it further but for now I will be over the moon just to "taste" that feeling again. On a note, have always loved flying being one of those people who almost sulk if I cant get the window seat and although never admitted it to anyone, would often as a youngster go to BHX airport (before my parents moved to Spain) as it was just down the road, just to watch the planes taking off :) So maybe I was ment to go down this wonderful road ;)B|

From your reply I think you'll be just fine. Just remember the movie 'wanted' use the elevated heart rate to your advantage to be more aware of your surroundings in freefall and under canopy. It's your body preparing you for 'danger'. The more your kids get older the more 'selfish' you will let yourself become. It's a natural emotion just like being afraid for your life while skydiving. Now you need to do just one thing....Get yer ass in ze air!

Cheers friend, currently "buzzing" having decided to just go for it. I need to and want too more than anything and know my Dad whos in heaven will be watching over me, thanks again :)
Blue Skies my friend

Meanwhile you start reading and finding out as much as you can and its only then that you realise the very real risks involved, reading about the accidents and fatalities etc.... you have a family, kids, although not babies anymore, and suddenly you start to have concerns, thinking "what if"...

Totally normal.

On your first jump, your brain is going "OOOOOH! SKYDIVING! YAY!" and that's about the extent of the thought process. The experience is overwhelming, and you don't really get to process it until later.

After the brain calms down from the high of the first jump, then it starts to realize "OMG, I'm jumping out of a F-ing PLANE. IN THE AIR. With a magic backpack that's supposed to save my life. WTF am I thinking??? I could DIE!!!!" and at that point, you start to research, and find the "Incidents" forum. And, being a newbie, you don't really understand what's going on in each of the incidents, and you're not really able to dissect what happened or why or whether the lessons learned apply to you (for example, a CRW wrap is unlikely to happen to an AFF student), you just know somebody went splat. And then your brain latches on to those incidents and reinforces the "OMG I could DIE!!!" thought process.

And at that point, you either accept that skydiving is a sport that might kill you and jump anyway, or you don't.

If you're bored, you can read about my AFF 2 wussage and getting myself back in the air afterward here: my website and click on "jump diary"

Thanks for that Nightingale, the way you describe the thought process, to me, a newbie, makes alot of sense and helps put a different angle on it. Your right, as a newbie you really dont understand whats going on and I was just starting to just "see" the negatives which then, not understanding the stats puts a big blur on all the positives. I will have a look at your site, thanks again:)

Problem is, after jumping out on airplane becomes "normal" your safety concerns are rapidly eclipsed by the fun you are having and you forget the above or move on to something riskier to get the rush back...

Not to be a dick~

But that's bullshit... unless you spend considerably more of your day off the planet than on it, Skydiving should never become 'normal'.

If it DOES, ya really need a tune-up from the neck up. ;)

I put myself through college, had success in a career, raised a family, ran a business...all while participating in Skydiving.

I've never once been injured while jumping because as a thinking, self-aware 'human-bean' I constantly assess the risk and weigh the cost...I intentionally take measures to lower my exposure regarding involvement with a possible life changing/ending incident.

Some of us figured out a long time ago that the 'Kool Kids on Krutches' either don't care, or don't understand the big picture, and are not the likes of which one who does, would emulate.

Certainly there are risks, but if you take the time to understand them and the effort to avoid the ones you many times can...ya can have a ton of fun for a very long run and never be bothered by walkin' with a limp! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

For my first few AFF jumps I would get serious nerves on the ride to altitude. I never thought about not jumping, but I'd look around at the other skydivers and think, "these people are crazy." :)

Going over my dive flow in my head calmed me down. Or striking up a conversation with another jumper about another topic (job, kids, etc.) also works.

Eight months later and I can practically take a nap on the ride up. :)

I have been skydiving for over 29 years and have been instructing for 28 of those years. If you cannot reconcile the risk in your head, then please don't bother with this sport. People die doing this. It's NOT safe.

If you CAN, on the other hand, get your mind right, then come on back out and get amongst it.

Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO, S&TA

For sure you are a normal person. I guess everybody soon or later think to that kind of question. Is skydiving dangerous ? Well it is for sure a high risk sport like mountain climbing, scuba diving, motorclycling...etc
But there is also some ways to get it as safe as possible. Here they are :
1) know your equipment and how to use it
2) make good packing or have a good packer
3) if in a formation follow the "rules" for free fall traffic, approach, docking and....tracking, traffic pattern...
4) generally, know your procedures and rules
5) more specifically know your emergencies and reserve activation procedures and get trained for that on a regular basis
6) watch out when you travel from the DZ to home. This part is dangerous too.;)
Beside that, skydiving is the most exhilarating activity I ever made. I have tried scuba, I am a pilot...but nothing beats that stuff. You really feel alive after a god skydiving day. But there is a price for that !>:(

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.