wayneflorida

Mark McGwire?

Forget about achievements like the one's Maris accomplished.

Nobody's forgotten his achievments.....but when you exclude 1961, he averaged .260, 19 HRs, and about 70 RBI over the other 11 years of his career......not HOF numbers.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Roger Maris isn't a HOFer. I do like the idea of recognizing singular achievements like his 61 HR in a single season.

As far as steroid cheats getting into the HOF....based on McGwire's votes received this year he won't be getting into the HOF. He received votes on 23.7% of ballots and you need 75% to get in. 583 Home runs would normally be a first ballot induction. Now that he has confessed, it will be interesting to see if his votes go up substantially next year.

I do note that he states that he took steroids to help with injury recovery and that his improved numbers came from his change in technique....which says that steroids don't help at all...which is bullshit. So, I don't think his votes are going to change much.

Bonds has never admitted steroid use or really been nailed down as using them even though everybody knows that he was juiced. It will be interesting to see how his HOF votes come in when he is eligible in a few years time.

Ban McGwire? You'd have to punt A-Rod, Pettite, Manny and several others still playing that have admitted/been caught. Being the big draws that some of them are there is no chance that will happen.

I think these guys are the ones that should have asterisks beside their career stats.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey