Granimal

Student ever ask to see your license/rating?

During my FJC, I actually asked my instructor to show me his license. I have also done the same every time I have needed to fly with a CFI.

In 10 years, I have never once been asked to produce it by a student. It's a good thing those pesky DZO's ask to see it ;).

Has anyone else ever been asked to show their ratings by a student or personally asked themselves when they were a student? I know I am a little weird, but there has got to be someone else that asked.

Nope. Never. Over 25 years of teaching in all programs recognized by USPA, with well over a thousand students and not a single one ever asked to see a certification card. Nor has a DZ ever asked to see my rating card. These days a USPA affiliated DZ can look it up on the web, but before that technology became available every DZO just took my word for it.

I was at a DZ once wen we learned an experienced instructor had fabricated his tandem rating. He departed and wasn't seen again, so fake instructors do happen. It's weird (and troubling) that students are so accepting.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I think much of this comes from the fact that average people don't understand how ratings/etc work. I understand that police officers must be designated agents of the state and know I can ask to see a badge. A few months ago, I had no idea that skydiving instructors had to be certified by a governing body, much less the details of it.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

I've never been asked by a student for credentials but our DZO requires us to keep a current copy of all credentials on file (on paper!) at the school. He occasionally checks to make sure everyone is current. My file goes back to when I started working for them!

I was never asked to provide my rating cards by students or whatever but when I was teaching FJC I often made it clear that at any time I could show them the cards at their request. The reason students are not asking is probably because they are sort of intimidated by an experienced instructor. But don't be mistaken because most of the students are bright enough to see if the instructor is making sense or not. I took care of maybe 2500 students at all and still do some free fall coaching for beginners. Many DZ have a board where staff member pictures are pinned up with their ratings and number of jumps. That is a way to "proof" beginners they are in good hands. :)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Then again, no one has ever asked me to see my various diplomas either, EMT card or most other related items. The police have asked for my driver's license on occasion and the bank want to see my account card. Other than that, not much.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672