StangMan90

That's my Dad!

Check out this video to see my Dad (Gene Calabro) cut the ribbon on the world's largest women's sporting event (actual fact). For years he lobbied to have the event moved to El Paso. He's the little guy in the grey suit. Fast forward to about 31:30.

He will also be honored with El Paso's "Spirit of Amigo" award this year as an individual recipient (there have been only two individual recipients so far in the past, one of which is his good friend, the late Coach Don Haskins). I believe last year's recipient was the Sun Bowl Association. The conservative estimate is that the tournament will bring more than $40 million into the local economy over the next 100 days.

BTW: In case you're wondering after you watch: I'm a HORRIBLE bowler. He's 86 years old and can still out-bowl me. I'm glad I got the "skydiving speech" from my bowling instructor.;)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/5759732

Joe
simplify

Looks like he may be small of build , but a Big man , You should be proud!

Thanks! He is a very humble and modest man. Most people don't know the half of his stature, starting with his service in the Pacific during WWII in the Marine Corps, then to Korea in the Army, and finally Viet Nam before he retired. Plus more than 40 years volunteer work with the Special Olympics. Dayum! Makes me feel kinda small.

To me, he's never been an inch shorter than 10 feet tall.

Joe
simplify

Looks like he may be small of build , but a Big man , You should be proud!

Thanks! He is a very humble and modest man. Most people don't know the half of his stature, starting with his service in the Pacific during WWII in the Marine Corps, then to Korea in the Army, and finally Viet Nam before he retired. Plus more than 40 years volunteer work with the Special Olympics. Dayum! Makes me feel kinda small.

To me, he's never been an inch shorter than 10 feet tall.

Joe

A perfect example of "Never judge a book by it's cover"!