futuredivot

Need a good, simple point and shoot

No serious recommendations (I have a Canon of some type which is OK), but something to think about is having an optical viewfinder, so that she's not dependent on the sometimes-hard-to-see display screen. I love having one.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I bought a Canon S90 a few months ago. Fast F2 lens and it has a larger sensor with fewer megapixels (10 mp) which results in lower noise than you get with most point and shoots. You can also shoot RAW if you want....I don't bother...but it is there. Here is a write-up on Ken Rockwel's site. Rockwell raves about the dials that let you customize settings very easily. I just use it on AUTO, can't be bothered to figure out all that other stuff.

I am very pleased with the image quality and really like having the fast lens...coupled with the image stabilization you can shoot in low light handheld and get much better results than with most point and shoots. I have attached a jpg taken in very low light after sundown. The lack of noise makes me think it was shot with a DSLR.

ANother thing I like is that it starts almost instantly. Press the On button and you are ready to shoot in 2/10's of a second.

Also, the wide angle end of the lens is about equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm. I really appreciate this as well.

I haven't used my Nikon D90 in months.

Cheers,

Murray
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The little Sony Cybershots and Canon Powershots are hard to beat both in Auto and Program modes.
Super simple, super fast, and they can be manual or auto.
I carry a Cybershot HXV pretty much everywhere. The video is reasonable, autoshots (even from a fast moving motorcycle) are pretty good, and it's a point n' shoot that has a decent lens on it with optical stab and decent focal length range.
My 5 and 7D's are heavily used, but they dont' go on a bike for those fast/fun trips.