WstCstFllr

Would you like to see these options added to the forums

Don't know if any of these are easy to implement.

So I was thinking it would be nice to have the option to click a thumbs up thumbs down icon to a post. Instead of just replying +1.

and

Jump numbers at time of post. A lot of threads get revived and also when doing searches you're often reading things from 2005. It would be nice to have the context. I say that cause I'll be reading some rubbish and see the person has 1500jumps but the post was 5 years old.

With the thumbs up thumbs down tally, I think we'd get an better idea of what the thoughts are among the people who view the threads but rarely reply. Or in the case of a bonfire conversation it's nice to see if links, pictures, jokes are getting a good response etc.

Instead of having the same vocal experienced people (not that there is anything wrong with that, thanks guys) arguing with the douche who wants to downsize his camera or ignore his canopy on the skydive cause he has less than 200 jumps, it would help to see that 400 people think it's a bad idea and it's not just someone with a green name who thinks there a moron. On the flip side, you may get thumbs up from people without experience who have no business giving a thumbs up. But it's just a source of information to be filtered just like comments/opinions in posts.

Ideally I'd like to see "You're a fucking moron" icon I can click cause that's how I feel when I am reading some of this shit, but a thumbs down will suffice.

So, after being registered for less than 24 hours . . . you've got the whole problem with the web site figured out.

Awesome.

Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to point out where things may be lacking.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Registered for a month. and yes I figured out how I'd like things to be and wondered if anyone thinks the same.

My apologies. I saw the "Ju" and the 9 and thought it was today for some reason.

There have been a number of discussions over the history of this web site about how to improve the forums. Not sure if you've noticed, but these forums aren't run by the same software a lot of other forums are. Because of that, it's not quite as simple as plugging in a voting module with some of the others either.

We've talked about "karma points" for people as well as voting stuff up and down.

Karma points just don't work. That becomes a popularity contest.

Votes up or down work well with certain ideas, but not well at all with others. Voting systems can easily swamp and shut out the "lone voice of reason." They also have a tendency to become popularity contests regarding the poster rather than the idea being discussed.

What web site do you think has a good example of a voting system that works? Just curious.

As for jump numbers at time of post . . . it might be historically interesting to track how a person's views change over time and with experience, but generally speaking that's only going to matter if you do some serious necro-post searching. Not really certain I see the point of that.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So, after being registered for less than 24 hours . . . you've got the whole problem with the web site figured out.
Awesome.

Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to point out where things may be lacking.

Agreed.

Sometimes it takes an old set of eyes to know why things are the way they are.
quade -

So I was thinking it would be nice to have the option to click a thumbs up thumbs down icon to a post. Instead of just replying +1.

Or we could insist everyone reply "thumbs up" instead of "+1".

If that is all there is to improve upon here, I think it speaks to how well this website is run.

:)
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Awesome.

Agreed.

Sometimes it takes an old set of eyes to know why things are the way they are.

Or you just need to be on the west coast ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I think you missed my point. I want people opinions, not fifty +1s

and rarely do people keep posting +1 after 3 or 4 and it's not anonymous. I think it's a way of drawing feedback from a passive audience, whether that feedback is going to be beneficial is debatable.

Well, I can't say I disagree with that. In fact, I've been trying to get people to not just post "+1" for a while because I think it's a waste of a post, but . . .

. . . how is that different than voting thumbs up?

If somebody simply votes "thumbs up", you're not getting much of an opinion.
quade -

I think it's a way of drawing feedback from a passive audience, whether that feedback is going to be beneficial is debatable.

Let's debate that, then, before we vote to go ahead and willy nilly ask for the passive opinion.

Well, I can't say I disagree with that. In fact, I've been trying to get people to not just post "+1" for a while because I think it's a waste of a post, but . . .

. . . how is that different than voting thumbs up?

If somebody simply votes "thumbs up", you're not getting much of an opinion.

+1

(That was_my_point put much more verbosely. :P)