bertusgeert

Mountain Bike

I want to finally buy myself a mountain bike. With many very expensive bikes out there, do I really need to spend $1000 or more for a good bike?

Although there are some, I don't see too many options in the $700-$1000 range. If I buy one of these, will I suffer certain drawbacks that is absolutely worth spending a lot more?

Guess I can always go craigslist it too.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Hey.

For the last 2 years i've been riding my 750 euro Mountainbike. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. before i had a 500 euro bike wich had a lot of problems.

Although i've upgraded the front fork making it more of a 1000 euro bike after half a year.

Depending on location, riding style and the frequency and distance of the rides you might -want- a slightly more or less expensive bike.

Try to go for at least Deore level ( or SRAM equivalent) components and stay away from SR suntour RST front forks. try to get something like a RockShock Tora or equivalent. Bikes like these tend to set you back about 700-800 euro's around here.

At this level you won't get the latest and greatest and not the lightest as well but something proven, robust and reliable.

Don't fall for tricks with expensive rear deraillers and entry level components on the rest of the bike. it's a marketing trick they have been using the last couple of years so they can say they're selling you a Deore/XLT/XT bike while the rest of the components are Alivio or worse.

I'm personally not a fan of disk brakes but i live in a flat and wet area.
In dry and hilly terrain with long decents disks could have an advantage. ( disk tend to make a lot of noise when wet. i once borrowed one for a muddy ride.)

Depending on terrain you might want rear suspension but a decent fully will cost about 200-300 dollar/euro more then an equivalent set up hardtail. Personally( in the Netherlands) i think a hardtail cross country bike will suffice. ( considering your name my guess is you're dutch or south african but people seem to be able to move across the globe these days :) )
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

What you need depends on where your ride and how your ride.

You can get a decent cross country bike for under $1000. Check out less expensive brands- Jamis, Fuji, Motobecane and online stores (bikesdirect.com, bikeisland.com- No affiliation) as well as local shops.

I ditto the previous post about components- you'll enjoy riding more if your bike shifts well. Go Deore or above...XT is better. Say yes to 29ers.

I love disc brakes but they take regular maintenance -they also offer superior stopping and control versus rim brakes-and are especially useful on long downhills where rim brakes won't cut it and muddy environments where mud can cake on the wheel rim and prevent rim brakes from working.

I love full suspension with lockout and lightweight wheelsets but you don't NEED them...you can just bounce more and work harder.

Have fun :)

Again and Again....face to face with the sky - RMR

You can get a decent bike for ~$700. I'd get a hardtail and save the money for the component group. Disks are getting cheaper and cheaper; mechanical Avids are almost as cheap as V-brakes now. Marin Alpine Trail and Cannondale F5 are examples here.

Im a big dude, and have a Kona Hoss Deluxe, cant go wrong with the name brands, you get what you pay for. I hate the clip in shoes for hilly trails they will kill you!

Don't blame the hardware for you not knowing how to use them...
Remster