ManagingPrime

Another reason not to listen to AFF instructors...

The one that really stuck out for me was that I should have trusted my intuition/gut. At a point (when I could have acted and made it back) I suspected there was a mis-communication and that I should disregard the instructions I was being given and stayed in my holding spot....this was confirmed by a few instructors and it's a lesson I will not forget.

Ultimately, it's YOUR responsibility to land safely. My instructor said that if I feel like he is giving me incorrect instructions on my landing pattern, I am free to ignore him and go with my gut.

I've also been thinking about injury rates. At some point in time I know it's going to happen, if only a small sprain. I'm going to try and never be injured, but what is realistic?

It'll likely happen. I sprained my ankle after a walking away from a safe landing (damn holes). I've cut my hand badly on the risers during opening. Hit my elbow HARD on the bottom of the door on the plane during my first hop and pop (lots of blood and bruising... haha). I almost broke my legs twice (once while letting up a flare low to the ground and the other while flying in gusty winds). Nothing major... but it's always fun to tell my family and friends "so, there I was, thinking I was going to get killed..."

One student on this board has been injured a couple of times in their training. What's to be expected?

For some, it's part of the learning curve. Most AFF students I see at my DZ don't injure themselves. It really comes down to the student's willingness to take things seriously and to learn as much as possible. Read the SIM cover to cover, learn from your mistakes, and learn from the mistakes of others. During AFF I'd watch videos of malfunctions and bad landings and then ask myself what I'd do in those situations (though, right before my jumps, I'd watch success videos to get those mirror-neurons firing :)
Don't forget to pull!

Having been an AFF, S/l and now STP instructor, I've seen a LOT of good landings and some not so great ones. The ultimate responsibility is on us to get down safe and sound so we can go do it again. Part of the training where I currently work at is to go thru our landing pattern and canopy ride plan. My final question is always "Now (students name), even if your radio falls off your harness or my radio fails to work or suppose you have a Bozo like me telling you to do everything wrong, do you still feel that you can get yourself back and on the ground safely? I usually have a pretty good idea of how they might do and if there is any doubt we review till we know. It's come in handy a few times. Hope this helps.

I had some mis-communication on the radio on my first few AFF's as well, but if the info they were feeding me didn't sound right (such as take a right into these trees instead of a left into the landing area) i disregarded it. Most of this stemmed from the fact that me and my dad were both in AFF at the same time and we have very similar names haha