Dagny

Altimeter repair

I have a standard hand-mount altimeter that I've owned for a little over a year now. I just noticed that the rubber ring that fits over my fingers is cracking. I definitely want to have something else in place before I jump again because I don't trust its solidarity. Other than that, everything is great with it.

Does anyone know how to change out that ring? Or any other tricks for keeping the alti in place while I jump? Or do I just hang up the alti and get a digital? B|
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

I have a standard hand-mount altimeter that I've owned for a little over a year now. I just noticed that the rubber ring that fits over my fingers is cracking. I definitely want to have something else in place before I jump again because I don't trust its solidarity. Other than that, everything is great with it.

Does anyone know how to change out that ring? Or any other tricks for keeping the alti in place while I jump? Or do I just hang up the alti and get a digital? B|

Tried contacting the manufacturer?

I guess you could also have your local rigger make you a loop out of some dacron line or something of similar thickness as well.

I know it's just a simple ring, but since the strap that holds it is stitched closed I can't seem to figure out how to replace it.

But, then...I have been lusting after a digital for a while now...B|
-Salvador Dali

since the strap that holds it is stitched closed I can't seem to figure out how to replace it.

You pick out the stitches and resew with the new ring.

Your rigger can do this repair very quickly for you.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The ring is sold as a replacement part already sewn into the back piece of webbing for about $10.
Try e-mailing [email protected] or check the www.alti-2.com website.

Another easy fix is to have a rigger replace it with a piece of bungie.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You pick out the stitches and resew with the new ring.

Ahhhh....sewing. I knew there had to be something complicated involved. That's a man's job, isn't it? Well, since my rigger is a guy...I'm certain that's the case. :P
-Salvador Dali

Thanks to you and mark for the email addy!

You know, I just thought about something...I've finally been in the sport long enough to have to fix one of my skydiving toys. Sweet! Someone should buy me beer.B|
-Salvador Dali

I know it's just a simple ring, but since the strap that holds it is stitched closed I can't seem to figure out how to replace it.

But, then...I have been lusting after a digital for a while now...B|

It can't be repaired. The manufacture recommends when this happens to replace the unit with a digital type altimeter.B|

And the old unit should be sold to some dummy to help pay for the digital.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals