lekstrom10k

Base jumper in the shoe ad

I saw a sport shoe ad on tv last week with a guy doing a base jump he is in it about 3 times. After stopping it via tivo I saw where his cutaway cable housing were attached. I havent laughed that much since viewing. Raquel Welch in Phatom with her double shots taped over. I would still love her internally inspite of her flaw today

Base rigs don't have a cut away system. So if you can see a cut away handle, its not a base rig. So they probably weren't actually base jumping & probalby didn't actually talk to a real base jumper before making the commercial. I haven't seen the commercial, but I kinda assume that's what he's getting at with his post.

Really? Wow...i guess the two different companies that made my base rigs didnt know that :P

Both my base rigs have cutaway systems, one even has hard housings just like skyrigs. It's a common misconception that you can't cut away a base rig. MOST base rigs DO have cutaway systems. I personally wouldnt jump without one as I frequently jump near water and have twice now had to cutaway my canopy because of a tree landing. You have to remember most BASE LZs have shitty landing areas.

There are some rigs that dont have a cutaway system but thats because they have integrated risers. This is actually just a small portion of the market though.

It's also interesting to note as far as TV, Movies, and Commercials, that I have noticed far more base rigs being used in film than skyrigs, even when the scene calls for a skyrig.

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

On many BASE containers, the cutaway handle is hidden behind the main lift web. It is possible you just couldn't see it.

+1

Not only that, but most base rigs have soft cutaway housings as opposed to the big metal tubes we are used to seeing on skyrigs. These are very easily concealed in the riser flaps most of the time so it would be very easy for someone think that it doesnt have a cutaway as it's essentially hidden.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

That was the whole point. How many times does a video man let a guy jump ,then leave after him ,go around the front for a face to face shot then watch him pull, alll this on a base jump. In freefall he was never totally exposed, had all the making of a photo-shop. Pity those who thought it was real. Also "The Pretender" did a tandem out of the left door of a C-177 ,no main risers LARGE woman no top attachment no lower connectors no goggles for either. very funny too