quesera

What do you know about paragliding?

My boyfriend is interested in paragliding, so I was thinking about taking him for his birthday (yes, I've already taken him skydiving and for some reason he wasn't into doing it twice :P). Here are my questions:

1. How long are you in the air, generally?
2. As a skydiver, would I find this incredibly lame? It would cost me $150 to go with him, and if it's just a parachute ride, essentially, I'll save my money and just take photos for him. (For the cost of 6 skydives, it would have to be cool/unique).
3. What's the difference between the kind with a parachute-like wing (for lack of better description) and the stiffer plane-like (ditto) wing?

(If that last question didn't make sense, this is the place I'm looking at: http://www.paraglidewashington.com/index.htm

I've always seen paragliders that look like little motorless planes).

Thanks!!

Lots

1. Depends upon the conditions .. my longest flight is 7 hours.

2. Lame ? depends upon the type of flight. It'll be the longest canopy ride you have ever had.... can be in stunning scenery and can be VERY dynamic.

3. The difference between a paraglider and a hang glider? Chalk and cheese.

Paragliders look NOTHING like motorless planes - where would you get that idea from?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

People do get a touch confused by the names of these flying disciplines.

Paraglider - Foot (or winch) launched RAM air canopy (I typically fly from hills)

Speed Wing : Smaller paraglider used for FAST ground hugging descents

Paramotor - as above but with a big fan strapped to your back.

Parascending - Towed behind a boat (or landrover)

Hang Glider - Normally triangle shaped. Cloth sail on a frame - but come in different classes and the high performance ones can be like little Sail Planes (Solid wings).

Micro/Ultra Light - 2 types : Weight Shift : like a hang Glider with an engine or 3-Axis : like little planes.

(.)Y(.)

7 hours?! That's awesome

Hang glider! Okay, thank you! I was confused. That makes more sense now :)
Which do you prefer to do?

I'm a Paraglider Pilot (solo and Tandem) and also fly a Speed Wing - so prefer those. It's lighter and packs down more compact, so I can go for a wlk up a mountain and fly down.

Also, if you wan to see just how dynamic PG can be ... Look at this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ldj_9kcpSI

(.)Y(.)

Lots

1. Depends upon the conditions .. my longest flight is 7 hours.

Friggin 7 mins with me ya fat bastard:P:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:.Mind you, lowest hook turn I EVER want to be apart ofB|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?