murrays

Dog Can't Drink Water

I know, maybe he should try beer lol.

Seriously, we adopted a small dog (20 pond terrier/poodle cross) 6 weeks ago. He is 8-9 years old. Due to the terrible condition of his teeth and gums when rescued the vet consulted pulled all of his teeth except one of his lower canine teeth.

He never seemed to drink water the first few weeks we had him but have noticed him trying to drink the last few days...maybe due to the hotter weather...and he practically chokes to death. We are guessing that due to the fact that he only has the one tooth he can't get his tongue to put the water where it needs to go to be swallowed.

Would we be able to get water into him using a large syringe or should we just let him figure out how to get it done on his own. He has been toothless since last September so I don't know how much longer it might take.

Any other suggestions???
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

:( Poor dog. Good luck! And congratulations for the newest addition to your family. :)
ETA: and I agree with pincheck. the vet should be able to help out!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Go back to the vet. There is a serious issue going on if he's unable to drink water and is choking trying to do so. Do not wait any longer!
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.