skydiver30960

Ever ship an animal across country?

Don't even get me started about my wife's cats. The >:( icon is not nearly >:( enough to express my emotions towards these animals. But, I deeply love my wife, and she deeply loves her cats. So, me and the cats are forced into a detente-like existence. Quite possibly the only good thing about being alone in Tucson for four months living in the world's most sparsely furnished apartment is that I haven't had to live with them. It has been halcyon for both me and my allergies.

But alas, all good things must come to an end. Sometime this month, my wife will be coming out to join me in Tucson (actually, this part is good). Soon after, our furniture will follow (also good). Unfortunately, the cats must also follow.

She called the airline today and got some bad news: anytime the weather is going to be over 85 degrees at any point in the journey, they won't let you ship animals in the baggage compartment. They're worried about the animals overheating. With a layover in Dallas and Tucson as a destination, it's a forgone conclusion it'll be over 85. So, they have to travel in the passenger compartment. BUT, they will only let each person bring one pet, so she can't bring both cats on the same flight.

One idea is for her to fly round-trip, dropping off one cat and then a few days later going back for the other one. This seems like a hassle to me, but interestingly enough ticket prices are (relatively) low at the moment, so it's a possibility.

Thanks to google:

http://petsonboardtransport.com/

http://www.petmovers.com/?gclid=CIO-7tGT-KkCFYaD5Qod11bbaw

These websites SCREAM expensive. I'll request quotes but I'm betting the wife making the extra round-trip would be the cheaper solution.

So, anybody have any experience with this kind of thing?

Thanks;

Elvisio "need a good Chinese food restaurant in Tucson" Rodriguez

Don't even get me started about my wife's cats. The >:( icon is not nearly >:( enough to express my emotions towards these animals. But, I deeply love my wife, and she deeply loves her cats. So, me and the cats are forced into a detente-like existence. Quite possibly the only good thing about being alone in Tucson for four months living in the world's most sparsely furnished apartment is that I haven't had to live with them. It has been halcyon for both me and my allergies.

But alas, all good things must come to an end. Sometime this month, my wife will be coming out to join me in Tucson (actually, this part is good). Soon after, our furniture will follow (also good). Unfortunately, the cats must also follow.

She called the airline today and got some bad news: anytime the weather is going to be over 85 degrees at any point in the journey, they won't let you ship animals in the baggage compartment. They're worried about the animals overheating. With a layover in Dallas and Tucson as a destination, it's a forgone conclusion it'll be over 85. So, they have to travel in the passenger compartment. BUT, they will only let each person bring one pet, so she can't bring both cats on the same flight.

One idea is for her to fly round-trip, dropping off one cat and then a few days later going back for the other one. This seems like a hassle to me, but interestingly enough ticket prices are (relatively) low at the moment, so it's a possibility.

Thanks to google:

http://petsonboardtransport.com/

http://www.petmovers.com/?gclid=CIO-7tGT-KkCFYaD5Qod11bbaw

These websites SCREAM expensive. I'll request quotes but I'm betting the wife making the extra round-trip would be the cheaper solution.

So, anybody have any experience with this kind of thing?

Thanks;

Elvisio "need a good Chinese food restaurant in Tucson" Rodriguez

Dude fly a skydiver friend out carrying the other cat..... one that can help you get all unpacked and set up in the new dive:ph34r:

Here is another good way to ship animals cross country.

Refer to my sig line for the first post: I need to find a shady Chinese restaurant that can, uh, "take these cats off our hands."

And... I also now want steak. And I'm at work until 0800 tomorrow. Dangit.

Final word on the move: It looks like Continental is the winner. They will let her move both cats in one flight, one as checked baggage and one as carry-on. She's determined to carry-on the fat, loud, yowling one: I think it's a bad call but hey, I won't be on the plane.

[RANT]

It's $125 to carry on a cat! WTF? Every bozo in the plane can haul their insanely oversized bag on the plane for free and eat up all the carry-on space so I have to gate check my single, normal sized backpack but it's $125 for a cat in a box not much bigger than my backpack? Does the cat get a better meal than we do? Is the movie translated into cat so they can watch? Is there a "kitty first class" section I've been missing?

It's $250 to check a cat as baggage! I almost, ALMOST understand the reason for charging such a fee: during the layover, regardless of whether or not you change planes, they go out and take the animal out of the baggage area and put them in an air-conditioned room and (supposedly) give them water. Then, before the flight leaves, they put the animal back on the plane.

Since it's an extra $400 to haul the cats, we had to wait an extra two weeks for HER ticket to be affordable enough to keep the total price at least somewhat reasonable, she won't be in Tucson until the 28th. That means her two you-know-whats are keeping me from getting any of her you-know-what for another two weeks. :P or[:/] or maybe :)

[/RANT]

Thank you for listening.

Elvisio "Cockblocked by pussies. Whoever heard of such a thing?" Rodriguez

Try Southwest. I just brought 2 cats from Phoenix to New Hampshire nonstop. You can carry two in one container or 2 in two containers for $75 per container. I have a very large male & a smaller female. They both fit in the one container which goes at your feet. I got some pills from a vet & they were a bit dopey & slept all the way - no problem. SW sells the pet transport cases for $45 which you buy at the check in. We bought ours beforehand so we arrived with the cats in the bag. You must still go the check in to pay for the cats beforehand. Each pet container counts for your carry on. I found it to be very reasonable with a minimum of hassle. If you have to change planes it would be a bit more of an effort but still worth it.