PaddleDawg80

facial swelling after jump?

Hey guys! A friend and I went for our second tandem jumps yesterday, and both of us are having weird effects from it. The left side of my face is swollen...it looks like I got punched in the jaw, and she can't hear out of one ear. We went about a year and a half ago with no strange effects whatsoever, but we weren't as high up, and it was a warm summer day. Yesterday was crazy cold, and we jumped from 12K.

I know the hearing loss is a common thing, but why on earth is my face so swollen on one-side? My friend said her face looks funny, too.

Thanks for any help/advice!

It doesn't hurt. It just looks really puffy and feels tight. It has gone down quite a bit since yesterday, thank goodness! My face was lop-sided! It's still noticeably swollen though.

In the video, my face was crazy distorted...waaaaaaaaaaay more than when we went before. I wonder if that did something to it? Haha!

Mom always said my face was gonna get stuck if I kept making funny faces. I think it may have actually happened...temporarily, at least! ;)

Hmm, maybe you were a lot more tense throughout the duration of the jump and didn't realize it? When are you going to start your AFF?
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

When I first saw skydiving on the internet (youtube) I remember watching the same videos over and over again and telling myself I wanted to do it so badly. I finally made my first tandem when I was overseas in Guam (I'm Active Duty Navy). Then I wanted to do it again in Hawaii, and eventually San Diego. I remember in Hawaii when I was in the plane I was like "There is no way in hell I could ever jump out of this plane by myself right now. I would be too scared." Not even two months later I was doing AFF courses in CA and I couldn't stop talking about it to friends and (some) family :D I did 3 tandems overall and it looks like you'll be doing the same thing haha.

Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

It could be a number of things, some jump related and some not. As someone mentioned it could be riser slap, or since you keep saying how cold it was it could be wind burn, or it could be something unrelated like allergies or swelling of the Parotid Glands.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Sinuses or swollen glands!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the 2 of you have been making out then I agree with some of the above... mumps. :D:D:D or shared a drink for that matter.

I doubt the riser slap... especially on a tandem, but I guess it's not impossible.

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I doubt the riser slap... especially on a tandem, but I guess it's not impossible.

You've obviously never done a tandem. Riser slaps happen, especially with the "creative" body positions that students tend to use.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You've obviously never done a tandem. Riser slaps happen, especially with the "creative" body positions that students tend to use.

Just 1... but I've seen hundreds of students after their tandems and not one riser slap to the face. Besides, riser slap is usually pretty obvious and also leaves abrasions on the skin. From the description, and being the both of them just seems unlikely is all.

Become a TI and do more than a few hundred and you'll get slapped. You'll see some interesting things happen on opening, like student's feet flipping up and kicking the risers on opening!

Who knows if that is what happened here, but it can and does happen, even with out abrasions.

I don't disagree with you.

But in reading the posts it sounds like it started some time after the jump if not the next day. You would definitely notice riser slap immediately after the jump. Trauma such as getting slapped in the face causes redness, swelling right away not hours later or the next day...

Maybe they just got wind burned...?

The ear thing is almost 100% likely due to inner ear/ sinus issue.

Could it possibly have been a hard opening and one of her hands popped up and hit her in the face? Sounds like a pretty weird occurance. To the OP, you should go start your AFF and see if it happens again.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Could it possibly have been a hard opening and one of her hands popped up and hit her in the face? Sounds like a pretty weird occurance. To the OP, you should go start your AFF and see if it happens again.

Could have been, I've seen that before too. I've also seen bloody fingers from students pulling their hands to behind their heads and catching risers.

Hell, if they went through a cloud, they may have caught a Care Bear too...you just never know on a tandem.

Hell, if they went through a cloud, they may have caught a Care Bear too...

So thats why we can't bust clouds... and all this time I thought it was some FAA law...:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message