sandi

2 great job offers - what to do...

I know, I know, it's a good problem to have, but it's still a dilemma. I can't decide which job to take. I'm not generally indecisive, but this is a big decision so I want to make sure I'm choosing the right path for me.

Any tips for making big career decisions?

At least once I accept an offer, I can focus on writing my dissertation and not have to worry about spending the next 8 months looking for a job.

I know, I know, it's a good problem to have, but it's still a dilemma. I can't decide which job to take. I'm not generally indecisive, but this is a big decision so I want to make sure I'm choosing the right path for me.

Any tips for making big career decisions?

At least once I accept an offer, I can focus on writing my dissertation and not have to worry about spending the next 8 months looking for a job.

Reminds me of a great pun: "...I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure." ;)

If writing/finishing your dissertation is the #1 goal, then base your decision around that factor. Take the job that won't be too stressful and that won't keep so busy/tired that you won't have the energy to work on your dissertation after. Location? "They" say that everyone is about location, location, location. If you have to relocate and you know it's only temporary while you finish your dissertation and get some work experience under your belt, then chose the location that (once again) will be most beneficial to your finishing the dissertation. Hopefully that makes sense.

By any chance, are you moving anywhere close to NYC? ;):)

Actually both jobs are for after I graduate in May. So I have to write my dissertation first. I'm in a great position to have job offers this early.

And no, neither one is near NYC.:D I wish they were, I would love to live there.

This decision is a little different in that these are both postdoctoral fellowships, so they are temporary. In my field I have to get a Ph.D. and then do a 2-3 year post-doc before I can get a permanent job. So I can't focus too much on location. I have to think about which one will get me where I want to be long-term. I really have to base it on the research that I'll be doing there. The "problem" is that both are fantastic opportunities that anyone in my field would jump at, so I'm having a hard time choosing.

All other things being equal ... people. Who do you think you'll enjoy working with more for the next 2-3 years? Who do you think will make better long-term friends and mentors?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

All other things being equal ... people. Who do you think you'll enjoy working with more for the next 2-3 years? Who do you think will make better long-term friends and mentors?

True dat. There are people out there you couldnt pay me enough to work for.

Have you met both of the people you will work for?

Which is the one that you think will be the better fit for your style?

Robert Sutton wrote a couple of books that cover workplace culture and toxic bosses/co-workers nicely (The No Asshole Rule and Good Boss/Bad Boss). Gave copies to my boss (he is a great one, but his boss, on the other hand....)

Good luck!

Major Dad
CSPA D-579