jlmiracle

smoke canisters

Pyro smoke for jumping and pyro smoke for aircraft are two different things. ("Normal" smoke for aircraft is simply caster oil injected into the exhaust system.)

Smoke for jumping is ignited manually by pulling a little ring attached to a chemical igniter similar to a match.

Smoke for aircraft is ignited electrically by applying a small amount of current similar to a model rocket engine.

You can get smoke for jumpers from Paragear.com.

I'm not certain where you can get the smoke for aircraft, but if you contact Bret Willat over at www.skysailing.com he'll definately know. He helped "invent" the aircraft pyro smoke by getting the manufacturers to put in the electric igniters.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thank you for the info. I keep getting these calls (I'm stuck answering the dz phone while everyone else is in Rantoul). Apparently there is some flying event in Memphis this weekend.

Blue Skies
Judy
If your not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

THIS WEEKEND?!?

Nothing like waiting until the last minute huh?

Pyro smoke (at least from Paragear.com) must be shipped via ground so lead times can be sort of tricky. My guess is that if you don't already have it in hand, there's probably not going to be any smoke this weekend.
quade -

also i belive you need a C lic. to purchuse smoke canisters. is this right???

Never heard that one before.

The smoke brackets are a considerable snag hazard, so it might just be a damn good idea to get some instruction from a local PRO-rated jumper before even thinking about it though.
quade -

A chemist friend tells me that if you mixed iodine crystals with aluminium fillings, and add water, you'll get massive vibrant purple smoke. But it burns fast and really hot so I can't imagine a homebrew being safe.

I came across making smoke signals using diesel once. It supposedly doesn't give off much heat. I'm not sure what the ingredients are. Anybody heard of this?

Take a look at boating stores. They'll carry them smoke canisters.

I'm deleting my 2 posts because I don't want to get sued by some stupid jackass who would not take personal responsiblity and thoroughly think through the consequences of their actions by blindly following the suggestions of someone who is not qualified in the field of pyro, and has a history of setting fires and electrical shorts when he was a kid.[:/]:$

Quade,
I don't suppose any one jumps with standard army smoke grenades any more. We used to in the olden days. You needed a metal bracket to attach to you french jump boots, because of the heat they would generate. A friend of mine was making a demo one day and couldn't find the proper bracket. I can't remember how he had it attached, but he ended up with some pretty severe burns on his foot. There was always the chance that the smoke might color your canopy or jump suit. I've also heard of spark holes. I remember jumping into a football game once. A friend was under canopy right across from me. He had a spinning malfunction with a red smoke grenade on his foot. It was quite a sight to watch. Luckily we had a big DZ and he was able to land his 24' round reserve without injury. Aren't you glad you didn't jump back then! Steve1

I don't suppose any one jumps with standard army smoke grenades any more.

I think the last time the Canadian Sky Hawks were down at Perris I saw them using some military smoke they had brought down and I assume the GKs have access to way neater stuff than the average jumper does as well.

That said, I think it's way easier for the average skydiver just to order the stuff that Para Gear sells.

One more note, Para Gear does NOT sell smoke brackets. Newbies wanting smoke brackets, flags, banners and the like should probably seek the advice and wisdom of a local PRO-rated skydiver. Folks in SoCal really ought to seek the advice of Jim Wallace for all PRO-rated matters.
quade -

("Normal" smoke for aircraft is simply caster oil injected into the exhaust system.)

Actually, it's corvis oil. It's primary use was on wooden concrete forms to prevent sticking.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Can I get you guy's/gal's opinion on these smoke I developed for skydivers? Electric fire or pull-wire under screw off safety cap. All paper. Won't get hot enough to blister with the first touch. No metal is used.

Blue (no cats were harmed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fEjvBzs-UM

Red - (my camera or monitor ruins the nice color.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UF7RWHjOSM&feature=related