Nataly

Live to work / work to live?

Balance of both for me.

I love my job most days (90%) because I get to work on a construction site in my own office and at the end of each job I can walk away knowing that I have helped to create something that will be used for YEARS to come. I understand that my line of work requires extra hours and I put those in with almost no bitching because I am paid EXTREMELY well for my current position in life.

That said, I do not live to work. I enjoy my days off as do what I enjoy to release stress from the work week and to prepare for the upcoming week. I started riding motorcycles and then took up skydiving to get that release of energy and tension.

Work to live most definitely. At 27 I've held quite a few different jobs and have yet to find something truly fulfilling, if one comes along then maybe I'll stick with it.

Part of my paychecks are for living expenses and the rest is play money and savings. Everything I own of importance fit on the back of my motorcycle (the only vehicle I personally own but currently have a work truck that I'm allowed to use), and I move every few years.

In 09 I quit my job as an automotive tech, sold almost everything, and traveled the country on my motorcycle until March this year, living off my savings. I started with roughly $15k and ended with about $300. I had the time of my life on that trip and if all goes well I should be able to take another "mini-retirement" again in 2013 but this time maybe take it abroad.

You could call me a vagabond, I just say I have a restless wanderlust spirit. Lately I've been thinking about being a packer and just hopping dropzones.

I used to live to work. Lived in NYC working for non-profit arts org doing event planning. Loved every second of it, but worked 12-14 hours 6 days a week. I have to admit though, a lot of that extra or late night work was "working" concerts. Day in and day out I was among the most incredible jazz artists the planet has to offer so it took some of the sting away from the hours. I made the most of the time off I had but my free time was most definitely not my focus. A decision to step away and join AmeriCorps for a year changed it all.

Seven years later I live on the coast where I work as an EMT. I get shit for pay and as a result work multiple jobs, but the 24/48 schedule and the ability to do shift trades to get 5 or even up to 10 days off at a time without burning vacation makes it feel like I have endless time off. I bought a fishing boat and spend most of my free time on the water. I hate being so far away from my family (they are in Atlanta) but at the same time I can't imagine living on the water

The biggest downfall is that I most definitely don't find myself intellectually challenged by the work and sometimes that gets old, but I have found a few people down here in small town Texas that realize the world doesn't end at the Oklahoma border and that help keep me sane. The dating scene blows too, but for the moment I'm just enjoying life and seeing what comes my way. In time I will likely move back to the southeast to be closer to my family.

For now, the picture attached was taken from my back door. It'll do.
Killing threads since 2004.