Tuna-Salad

Any experienced nitro plane pilots?

Just restored or made a plane that was sitting in the closet for years flyable... The engine is brand new (from years ago but only used once), and just cleaned out and reassembled so what do I need to do to properly break it in? No plans on flying till I get the engine tuned...
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Hey Tuna!,
Too much fun!! Like how big is the plane and how big is the engine?? Generaly, if the engine will turn over and doesn't have too much varnish in it, just fire it off and run it real rich for a while then slowly lean it out till ya' get it singin' that sweet song that I think ya' already know. When ya' can kick the throttle up to max and back down with no trouble , then yer there!! 'Got educated thumbs!! Ran 4 gallons of fuel, 10% nitro,(or was it 5% nitro????) thru an old O.S. .35 on the front of an old Falcon 56 till the nose got so oil soaked ya' could wring it out like an old dish cloth!! Ah!!... those were the daze... play on Gypsys, play on!! Keep us posted on how the plane flyz!!

'Back some eonz ago when I was workin' for old man Sheehan at Scare-a-netics in south elmonte I'd go to Whittier Narrows to fly and see what was going on.. Dave Shadel, hot shot formula I, and anything else fast pilot was there testing some new rig he had, think he was burnin' 35% nitro and I'll say this,"He was Fast!!" 'Remember he fried a plug on each flight!!

......Who?? .............Me??? Bill Deli, AMA-87838
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I used to fly a bunch, still fly a little bit.

Here is the only video I have of me flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcAZ8JMUVS4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As for your engine, what size? If it has never been run and is an ABC engine (al, brass, chrome) then you will need to let it heat up and cool down to get it broken in correctly.

So, get it started and run it up to full power. Start to lean it out till the rpm peaks and starts dropping off. Then turn it back past peak back toward the rich side a good full turn. I let mine run at full power about a min, and then drop it back down to idle for about 2 mins. I keep going from full to idle to half to full for about one tank. Let it spend some time at full to let it warm up and then let it idle about twice as long. Slowly taper from that to 50/50 and then keep doing that till you are running at full for say 5 mins and idle for only 30 seconds.

Then if it is for a plane, I pretty much just start flying, but run it about 3/4 turn richer than I normally would for about a gallon and then start slowly leaning it to my normal peak which is about 1/4 rich off peak.

Helis, I run it about 1/2 turn richer than normal and do a bunch of auto rotations checking the engine temp after each landing. I do this for about a gallon of fuel and then peak tune it and start flying. Heli engines do not normally fly in the middle rpm band, so mid range is not that important.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

the plane is a 40 with a 40 super tigre 2 engine. i'm running 15% nitro mix

That engine is almost unbreakable. If it's ringed, just run it rich for the first few flights. If ABC, follow Ron's advice.

I've been flying R/C since 1964. Never damaged an engine yet except by crashing into concrete.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The GS40 is ringed. So, just do like Kallend said and run it a bit richer than normal and over about a gallon of fuel bring it closer to peak. By the end of the second gallon you should be done.

If you want to make sure it is ringed, just look into the exhaust port and you will be able to see the piston and piston ring.

BTW, John knows what he is talking about in RC.... Associate VP of the AMA and he wrote the first flight sim software.

I have only destroyed one engine, a .50 heli motor that blew a hole through the top of the engine..... I just replaced the piston, ring and sleeve and it ran several more years.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks, but that was years ago. I have not really flown a heli since 2009.

Oh and Tuna... It seems you might be in Zhill's? If so, I can easily help you. I was just there this weekend.

And if I can't help (since I dont live there anymore) I still have friends that will gladly help you.

Ok... thanks

I got it to start but ran real rough for about 20 seconds so I'm gonna guess that it was too rich. Could not start again so will guess it was flooded, going to pop the plug out and drain the cylinder of fuel and try again.

No need to pop the plug, just roll the airplane and engine so the muffler is down and slowly rotate the prop till the piston is down and the extra fuel will run right out the exhaust port and out the muffler.

No luck.. I know it was flooded I drained it and tried again and it ran briefly.. again. I notice it seems to only be using what fuel is in the line and will not draw more fuel then the cylinder is flooded again but with no fuel in the line.

Try running the engine off of the bottle... You might have a pick up issue in the tank.

Also do you have a pressure feed line going from the muffler to the tank?

No luck.. I know it was flooded I drained it and tried again and it ran briefly.. again. I notice it seems to only be using what fuel is in the line and will not draw more fuel then the cylinder is flooded again but with no fuel in the line.

If no fuel in the line, has it gone into the engine to be replaced by air, or has it drained back into the tank? Assuming your fuel line is clear(ish) silicone, you should be able to see if the engine is sucking air or fuel. If you have a clunk (most likely) it is possible for the flexible line in the tank to have a hole that is difficult to diagnose without taking the tank apart.

Also, if the engine hasn't run for a while the spraybar in the carb may be blocked with congealed oil.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

said fuel drains back into tank.. i am able to prime the engine by putting finger over carb and turning prop a few times.. it starts.. runs about 5-8 seconds and dies.. i look at the fuel line and it's empty so assuming this is why i'm not getting any results. The engine was just torn down and cleaned inside so there is no build up. I will try and post video of what i'm doing tomorrow