pchapman

Dealing with off-landings in a city / urban environment

>as it is having that almost-stalled canopy being more prone to collapse
>when it enters turbulent air caused by the multiple nearby obstacles
>present in any urban landing.

Most canopies are equally prone to collapse when they are near stall and they hit turbulence. The consequences are just much more severe on smaller canopies, since you have much less area to work with to begin with.

Most canopies are equally prone to collapse when they are near stall and they hit turbulence. The consequences are just much more severe on smaller canopies, since you have much less area to work with to begin with.

Agreed - I wasn't referring to canopy size, but to the fact that the ability to fly close to stall is not the whole story. I think we're saying the same thing.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Classic accuracy with a hot pocket rocket? Accuracy canopies designed for sinking in stall, they have huge and open cells.

You can sink a small canopy *almost exactly like you can sink a classic accuracy canopy (I would not want to let it really stall).

If you have a partial or total collapse on a semi- or closed nose canopy in a turbulent, urban environment and low you are not going to make it back by pumping before the impact....

1. Don't stall it.
2. The whole idea of cross braces is to make a more rigid wing.

You can (and I have) do a "classic" approach under a small Xbraced canopy. I have done it under 88, 90, 96's.

Slow speed flight is something most people with Xbraced canopies only use for the end of a swoop... That does not mean it can't do other things.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

FYI, guys, I sort of misspoke (mistyped?). Deep brakes might be an overstatement. More like "started practicing more forms of braked approaches" rather than practicing "deep brake" approaches.

My canopy (at the time) was a Monarch 195 and I was loading it about 1.1:1 or 1.2:1. No hankie-chutes for me, thanks. When the fecal matter is in the rotary air movement device, I want more nylon, no less, over me.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

My last demo was a "sunset" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more) jump into a high school football stadium. I was damned glad that we walked around the site that morning.
That walk-around made it clear that there were no safe landing areas among the houses to the north or east of the stadium.
all those wires and trees just made those areas SCARY.
Come the jump, I could not see anything significant outside the stadium.
But I knew about the soccer fields immediately west of the stadium and another open field immediately to the south-west.

Does your city run electric trolleys?

When trolley wires spark, they produce 600 volt sparks that will fry your eye balls as badly as an electric arc welder!

If so, trolley wires severely reduce your landing options any time you land in town.

The scary part is that wires are difficult to see until just before you hit them.

A walk around - a day or two before the jump - is the best form of prevention.

Your second best form of prevention is aiming for a side street, because a side street is less likely to have trolley wires than a major commuter route.

Rob Warner
Skyhawks Demonstration Team 1981
CSPA Exhibition Jump Rating
Rigger Examiner
Strong Tandem Examiner
and Vancouver city bus driver most recently

>A walk around - a day or two before the jump - is the best form of
>prevention.

Yep.

We did a demo into SF a while back. One group was landing on the top of a parking garage. We walked the roads around the garage and saw the pictures below.

Not only do trolley wires carry a lot of power, but they are a lot stronger than they look - and your parachute will not keep flying after you hit one.

Love those things!
Did a jump for a Bowl game, on the walk through the camera operator was practicing when we discussed the camera being down for out jump. "No problem" says the producer.

Flash forward to me on final, I look passed the 50 and the big logo to see a black and silver alien rushing towards me! "Shit this will get interesting" I say aloud.

Ground Control said they could read my lips, pretty easy as I was on the "Jumbo Tron". Oops.:o

Second time one of those Jumbo Tron's got me.:$

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!