NoShitThereIWas

Questions for riggers on cleaning rigs

I have seen rigs cleaned before and have read most of the posts related to this topic including manufacturer's recommendations, but I was wondering what all of you riggers do when you wash containers if you don't mind sharing your tricks of the trade ...

1) Do you pretreat the rig with cleaning solution i.e. simple green, something else and scrub with a brush?

2) If you do use a scrub brush, do you think it is important to scrub in a certain direction?

3) What do you do to protect the stainless steel on the rig?

4) Do you cover the hook on the velcro?

5) Do you believe in a gentle cold wash cycle and if so with Woolite or some other compound?

6) Do you drip dry or use some other method?

It seems like a lot of people like the Woolite method and some people are against cold wash cycles. Just wondering if you have any tips. Thanks a lot in advance and blue skies.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Scotchguard all rigs when you get them new...

Then, cutaway the main, remove the hook knives and reserve cards, etc.. I've been using the washing machine, not for agitation, but as a huge, self-draining bucket. I let the washing machine fill up empty, cold, and put some laundry detergent in, mixing it with my hand, maybe even let it shake a couple times to dissolve. Then, lower the container in and lift it in and out, until you get bored. If it is highly soiled, you can sprinkle detergent on the fabric and kind of work it in, but just walk by every time there is a commercial, or the skydiving movie ends, and lift it up and down a couple times, again, until you are bored or the movie starts again...

I'm not a rigger, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.. Not really. But red Moab dirt gets into my rigs, and clashes with blue. And that Scotchguard idea? Priceless...

PS You look hot in your avitar, give me a call next time you are in town...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Not a rigger, but do my own.

Tub. Cold Water.
Pretreat stains with liquid detergent and rub it in with my fingers and let it set till almost dry.
Agitate it in the tub, in and out a few times, let soak for an hour or so.
Agitate a few more times, dunk it in and out a few more times.
Rinse with three times (clean cold water in between each rinse) and let dry.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Remove everything except for cutaway handle.
Grab Woolite (Zero in Canada) mild liquid detergent and scrub brush.
Rub raw detergent into worst stains.
Leave sitting in luke warm water for 20 minutes.
Scrub everything except BOC.
Soak for 20 minutes.
Scrub all over a third time.
Rinse until it does not taste like soap any more.
Hang to dry for 3 to 5 days.
Scotch guard.
Assemble and pack.

I did these exact directions to my Racer just a day or two ago - I was amazed at how much dirt, grime, & sand came out of a rig which looked brand new and is less than a Year old!! I can see now how much wear & tear is really put on a Rig through normal use even when taken care of....
Thank you....
=========Shaun ==========

After you all are done with all of this cleaning and get to the re-assembly part, don't forget to do a thorough inspection. Pay special attention to the tacking on your cable housings, it tends to loose its wax and come untied. A flexible gun cleaning rod (.22 cal) is handy to swab out the housings as well.
alan