moggybean

Luck Boy - A Jaguars Tale

Left to die. The Belize Zoo recently rescued a Jaguar from an horrific situation. Here is his story.

Lucky Boy, originally named ‘Bosch’ (Mayan word for Black) has never known a life other than captivity. He was born in a zoo in Mexico and shortly after moved to the Ballum Na Resort in the Toledo District of Belize. He lived there quite happily until recently.

Reports were received by the Ya’xche Conservation Trust of animals being starved at the resort (I am unable to comment on the circumstances that resulted in the animals starving as I do not know the facts). On arrival at the resort rangers found him in his cage with no food or water and near death (picture attached). Unfortunately another jaguar that was with him had already died. The rangers immediately started a feeding regime to which he responded and he was quickly able to be moved to somewhere more able to rehabilitate him.

The Belize Zoo – the best little zoo in the world www.belizezoo.org stepped in and moved him to their facility. Having many years experience with Jaguars this was the right place for him. The staff at the Belize Zoo are some of the most knowledgeable in the world on these magnificent cats.

Lucky Boy was rescued just over a month ago and despite an initial set-back (he was diagnosed with hookworm) he is doing very well. He has gained weight and appears to be in good spirits. Jaguars in captivity can expect to live up to 20 years, he is 11 years old now. His remaining years will be full of mental stimulation, a good balanced diet, some of the best vet treatment available and above all, love.

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit with him recently and his progress is remarkable. Well done the staff at the Belize Zoo, they are my new heroes.

Scum is putting it nicely. I volunteer at a rabies vector species rehabilitation center and see first hand what scum cause. Sometimes it's just stupidity and somehow that is worse. But we do get some really cool non-human animals back out in the wild where they belong.

Unfortunately in this case he can never be released into the wild. Lucky Boy was captive born and raised. He would never survive in the wild.

The Belize Zoo has a Jaguar rehabilitation program and if at all possible they will release rehabilitated jaguars back where they belong.

I do hope the scum that caused this in the first place get their day of judgement - maybe a night in his enclosure!:oB|