aeroflyer

Best renter's insurance company?

I've been trying to decide on an insurance company for renters insurance, and keep coming across horror stories for basically all of them (State farm, farmers, geico, allstate, etc) not paying up when a claim is made. What's a good company to deal with? I can't use the army/navy/airforce affiliated company, unfortunately.

edit: specifically, I am concerned with insuring my gear, for replacement cost.

Assuming you also have a car that is insured, I'd start with the same company. Most insurance companies will give a discount for having multiple policies, so you may get the best prices going that way. As with all things insurance-wise, read the fine print and understand what you're buying and to help to prevent you becoming one whose claims don't get paid. One hint: you'll want to look for replacement value coverage, not actual value coverage.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Try an independent agent if possible and also like NWflyer said... the same company as your auto insurance if possible.

If you have a claim, in some states, you have a choice of letting the insurance company complete the claim, or hiring an independent claims adjustment company to fight for everything lost.

Like in a fire the insurance company will try to pay as little as possible. The claims company will get you the cost your tooth brush back... up to policy limits if needed.

Of course the claims company wants a cut, but it's usually worth it to use them... in a fire situation etc.

Oh, and please don't say "INNN surance".

It's one word with NO emphasis on the "IN".:P

I went with the same company that insured my car. My total cost went DOWN when I added renters insurance.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, my car is actually insured in the great white north :P

So, I guess I'll read the fine print and make sure I get replacement cost. I've heard that one may also need to declare high-value items or have a separate rider for them, in case their are limits on the categories (ex sporting goods). Some policies cover off-premesis and some don't, as far as I know.

That's a good point about hiring a 3rd party to complete the claim.. I've never heard of that before.

Anyway, if anyone specifically has a recommendation for a company, let me know, otherwise I guess I'll go with whoever can meet the requirements and is reasonable.

Try an independent agent if possible and also like NWflyer said... the same company as your auto insurance if possible.

If you have a claim, in some states, you have a choice of letting the insurance company complete the claim, or hiring an independent claims adjustment company to fight for everything lost.

Like in a fire the insurance company will try to pay as little as possible. The claims company will get you the cost your tooth brush back... up to policy limits if needed.

Of course the claims company wants a cut, but it's usually worth it to use them... in a fire situation etc.

Oh, and please don't say "INNN surance".

It's one word with NO emphasis on the "IN".:P

I'm with USAA now (my dad finally joined and I was able to get eligibility through him) but I was with Ameriprise before that. I only had to file one claim with Ameriprise, for a stolen laptop (stolen from my apartment). I had a separate rider for the laptop, and the whole process was super-easy with no hassles whatsoever. YMMV, but there's at least one company to look into. (If you're a Costco member, you can get a policy with them through Costco that has a good discount).

Definitely ask about riders - both my current policy with USAA and my previous Ameriprise policy didn't have riders for sporting goods. They just had specific categories of high value items (like jewelry, electronics). So, I just made sure that my general coverage was enough to
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke