Burner410

FF vs. RW suit for skydiving?

Hey everyone..........quick question. I'm just starting out and doing alot of RW with friends I jump with and was looking to get a suit. Can I still do RW with a FF suit or will the fall rates differ so drastically that it won't work? If I did buy a FF suit for a awesome deal, could I take that same suit and have it modded as a RW suit w/ grips and booties? Thanks

Blue SkiesB|

Quick answer; yes, you can do rw in a ff suit. You're talking fun stuff, not team training and competiotions, I assume?
And b), you could add grippers to a ff suit, booties would be harder. It would still be a different material and a different design and wouldn't 'function' as a real rw suit would, though. Maybe you can find one of those at an awesome price too if you look around some more.

Hey everyone..........quick question. I'm just starting out and doing alot of RW with friends I jump with and was looking to get a suit. B|

You want the same neutral fall rate as your friends. If they wear tight jumpsuits and you're not extra heavy, you'll need a tight suit. RW suits tend to be tight.

If they wear baggy suits or you weight 250 pounds, you'll need something baggier.

To help aid in a successful skydive, dress for success.

You wouldn't wear a tux to a football game and you would wear a beer hat, no shirt and be painted in your football team's colors at a wedding. Sure, both work ok, but wouldn't it be better if you were dressed properly?

Same with the skydiving. You can do RW in a FF suit and you can even FF in a RW suit (kinda sucks, though), but the suits are built differently for a reason. You might enjoy it more if you could eventually get a RW and a FF suit.

;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get the right suit for the skydive.

That doesn't mean you have to buy two brand new jumpsuits.

We have a pretty good turnover at our DZ and a lot of jumpers here buy a used RW suit to start off with.

PM me if you want to see if we have a match for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I've been on some excellent RW skydives with guys and girls in freefly suits.

(I should mention that they were, for the most part, National or World Champions in freeflying)

A freefly suit with grippers is a good idea anyhow, in view of the popularity of VRW.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thanks for everyones imputs.....my basic thinking stemmed from FF really looks kick ass, but I've started out and continually do RW with friends so I wasn't sure if I could have the best of both worlds all wrapped up in one suit, but I think after reading your comments it doesn't appear to be so! Oh well....so much for trying to save a few extra bucks so I could buy more jump tickets:P

GravityGirl.........sent you a pm!