jimmytavino

Q.Tarantinos current Movie

sometimes things at work slow down a bit this time of year and we can go to the local movie theater ( an 8-plex, 3 miles away ) for matinee shows...:) So.... i was thinking i'd like to see Django Unchained.:|

Q. Ts films sorta grow on me and i generally like most of them and appreciate the interesting techniques he uses to tell a story...(although Dusk to Dawn was about as "out There" as it gets...:o:S of course.... all EXCEPT Salma HayekB|;)

anyway...The "Stars" here, are all Pros and i wanted to see how they worked WITH each other...and so it was on my 'list'.

However yesterday , a brother in law whose opinion i trust , told me.. It's pretty rough.. and mentioned a specific scene. Hmmm that had me reconsidering... since i had NO idea at all about the movie..

So i clicked into a few links and found out the basics of the story.. That The J Foxx character was a slave who was attempting to seek revenge on Land owners/ Slave owners who had done wrong to the slaves and was set in the early 1860s...correct???

The Director is Quoted as saying. "The reality was MUCH worse than what i portray..."

Suddenly, what i had thought was a shoot-em up western.. has become a social commentary, the reality of which would be tough, ( though necessary ) to accept...

I have no doubt that slavery was a hard and difficult life for those enmeshed in it, through no choice of their own...
This subject is fresh in my mind from having seen LINCOLN only a week ago.

So... before i Buy any tickets... what thoughts might anyone here have....about the movie??? especially of course those who have seen it.

I did a search here and grinned when it bought up The DJango Canopy!!!!!which i absolutely EXpected !!! but nothing about D Unchained...

jimmytavino

So i clicked into a few links and found out the basics of the story.. That The J Foxx character was a slave who was attempting to seek revenge on Land owners/ Slave owners who had done wrong to the slaves and was set in the early 1860s...correct???

Not really correct. I've heard the film described as a "revenge" movie by people who have obviously not seen it. It's not revenge he's after; it's something else that I won't spoil here.

The film is a classic "Hero's Journey" story as described by Joseph Campbell. In fact, there is even a scene which explains it, although not in those terms. I could detail point-by-point what that is, but I'm nearly certain most people don't care; they just want a good story.

The story is set in the period just before the civil war. Slavery is a fact of that setting.

With that in mind, certain things have to happen and Tarantino is, I'm fairly certain, correct in how his characters refer to slaves including the slaves referring to themselves. I'm also quite sure Tarantino is correct in that the actual brutality of the basic situation is much worse than depicted in his film.

That said, his film is the film equivalent of a graphic novel. Blood splatters are cartoonishly larger than in real life. Banter is wittier and far more interesting than in real life. His hero can sustain more injuries and walk away than in real life.

Tarantino is firstly telling his "Hero's Journey." Any social commentary is, I believe, incidental. That's not what Tarantino is about (never has been) and I don't see this as a start.

If you like Tarantino films in general, you will like this film.

If you do not, you might want to skip it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

sometimes things at work slow down a bit this time of year and we can go to the local movie theater ( an 8-plex, 3 miles away ) for matinee shows...:) So.... i was thinking i'd like to see Django Unchained.:|

Q. Ts films sorta grow on me and i generally like most of them and appreciate the interesting techniques he uses to tell a story...(although Dusk to Dawn was about as "out There" as it gets...:o:S of course.... all EXCEPT Salma HayekB|;)

Dusk to Dawn was a Robert Rodriguez collaboration. Quintin directed the first half. Rodriquez did the second. The styles did _not_ mesh. Their Grind House Death Proof / Planet Terror double feature and Four Rooms segments worked a lot better with more separation.

So... before i Buy any tickets... what thoughts might anyone here have....about the movie??? especially of course those who have seen it.

It's awesome, his best work since Pulp Fiction.

As a nit Broomhilda could be Tarantino's weakest female character yet although that's consistent with the film as an homage to the spaghetti western where you've got a hero or two, the bad guys, and everyone else is just along for the ride.

I thought it was a great movie. I had no idea what it was about when i went with a group of friends to see it.

Yeah, it has some rough scenes that i ended up putting my hands over my eyes and peeking out through my fingers. Other parts of the movie are downright hilarious. Overall i don't think you'll be disappointed.

I can't really say much else because i don't wanna spoil the movie for anyone that hasn't seen it. I think it's 2.5hrs long and to be honest, i was never bored. It kept my interest the whole time. (And i have no attention span :P)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!