kallend

Beware the IKEA Effect

I can always see every imperfection in my own work, to the point it is all I see when I look at it.

Same here. I think I was born a pessimist!! I look at reports I've produced and it *bothers* me that I didn't center the graph properly on the page... It annoys me that some cells have decimal points and others do not... I come across "glitches" when I run macros I wrote and think "I can't believe I didn't spot that." I constantly feel like an amateur. I usually feel like it's a false economy when I do things myself... :|

And not just when I'm building things... When I get an idea and someone comes up with a good counter-argument, I instantly feel like a moron... [:/] I'm happy to share my ideas no matter how undeveloped, though, because I think people can build on it and it could lead to something good. I don't tend to think of my ideas as "finished products." I keep revisiting, re-evaluating and re-thinking problems/solutions... Sometimes it's a good thing; sometimes it just slows things down.

My boss is decisive - he is sharp as a whip, has great instincts, and makes decisions. It's great to work for someone like that, because although he is *sometimes* wrong, at least we are almost always moving forward toward progress. Working for someone like me is less reassuring - I keep doubting my decisions and changing my mind... Even though I usually change in favour of better options, often it's better just to pick something and go with it.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

(And yes if I measured the rest of the shelves in the house they'd probably also be off by at least that much - but I didn't install them so it doesn't bother me.)

While installing flooring in my children's rooms I found that the walls weren't all that straight. It was bad enough that I was having to use a roll of brown craft paper to cut out trimming templates. So we cut out a bunch of "blanks" out of the outline of the flooring material and I would use that to blank to cut down and fit a piece before cutting an actual piece of flooring.

Prior to that I had never noticed how the walls weren't straight/flat, but now they stand out like a really sore thumb!

Want to bet if the carpenters were union or not??? :ph34r: