skydiverjerry

sigma harness on racer tandem.

can you use the sigma harness on the racer tandem?
perhaps bill would be kind enough to reply? if so how would the fitting differ if any?
if not why not?
i have used the sigma harness and love it for students!
blue skies
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

Last time I posed this question to Bill Booth, he replied that you could hand any (certified) tandem student harness on the front of a Vector or Sigma, but why would you bother. Then Bill launched into a description of why Sigma harnesses are so much better than anybody elses' harnesses.

I have to admit that ringed Strong student harnesses are probably as comfortable as Sigma harnesses, but too complicated for my feeble brain.

I have seen Sigma harnesses used on other systems with no problems. (Eclipse).

I just got a chance to have a real close look at one of the new Strong harnesses. They look nice, but I don't understand why they went back to the reverse adjusting, spring bar vertical lift webs. Seems like a step backwards to me. My buddy was actually warming one up so it would be easier to adjust. (granted it was cold).

I have seen Sigma harnesses used on other systems with no problems. (Eclipse).

I just got a chance to have a real close look at one of the new Strong harnesses. They look nice, but I don't understand why they went back to the reverse adjusting, spring bar vertical lift webs. Seems like a step backwards to me. My buddy was actually warming one up so it would be easier to adjust. (granted it was cold).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed!
I do not know why Strong made their latest student harnesses so complicated.

Granted the new hip configuration does help get students' legs out in front for slide landings.

But I preferred having MLW adjusters up - on the front of shoulders - where I can reach them in the the plane.

As for the spring-loaded gate in the hardware .... the basic problem is that most of the hardware was designed for thick, bulky cotton webbing. Adjustable MLWs have been a problem for as long as we have been using nylon webbing.
When I phoned Sun Path about their most recent service bulletin, they recommended fixed length harnesses.

The only adjustable student harnesses that hold consistently are the Type 13 MLWs on Sidewinders, with spring-loaded friction adapters. Even so, Sidewinders only last 5 to 8 years, then you have to replace the frayed webbing.

They are called "friction" adapters for a reason. Every time you load a harness, the hardware rubs the webbing a little bit.