ryoder

Road kill..it's what fer dinner

Alaska's allowed it for a while. We stayed in a B&B on the Kenai Peninsula a few years ago and the proprietors told us about the program - basically, there's a list for each jurisdiction (county, maybe?) of people who want to be called when there's roadkill that needs to be removed. Once the police are notified that there's a carcass on the side of the road, they just move down the list in order (I think they said you could only refuse a certain number of times before you were taken off the list) and the person who says yes goes and picks up and processes the animal at their own cost.

For areas like Alaska or Montana that are mostly very rural, it's a win-win. It saves the state/county the cost of removal (which could be pretty high given how far crews might have to travel) and it provides the local residents with a (potentially) great source of (almost free) meat. Our B&B friends said they'd gotten some great venison and moose meat that way. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's legal in Illinois, as well. One thing I thought was interesting, on their form to declare possession, is that you can't be delinquent on child support payments. :S

http://dnr.illinois.gov/SalvageDeer/(S(1yck5t45syabp345xxecmy45))/SalvageInfo.aspx

I wonder what their reasoning is behind that.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It's legal in Illinois, as well. One thing I thought was interesting, on their form to declare possession, is that you can't be delinquent on child support payments. :S

http://dnr.illinois.gov/SalvageDeer/(S(1yck5t45syabp345xxecmy45))/SalvageInfo.aspx

Because Illinois deer taste better than anywhere else...it'll make ya wanna catch-up the payments! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So if I'm delinquent on my child support, I can't eat road kill.
Yeahhhhh....that is a real strong motivation to keep up on those payments.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I hit a deer on the way to my first dropzone in Kentucky. Dented quarter panel, DESTROYED windshield, one dead deer. On arriving to the DZ I told one of the long-timers there about it, and his eyes got HUGE. We rolled back out to the interstate and he gutted it right there. The deer went in the bed of his pickup, and was conveyed to his house where another jumper and him processed it. The shoulder that took most of the impact on the deer couldn't be used, but the other three quarters were good to go.

That night we enjoyed deer tenderloin on the grill. Revenge never tasted so sweet. :P

Funny bit: a couple weeks later I asked my buddy if he had any of that deer left and he said "yeah, I have one of the legs left in the freezer." When I asked him for some he said "no, I mean THE WHOLE LEG is in my freezer." Oh. Well, never mind.

Elvisio "Kentucky will always be with me now" Rodriguez

If you owe child support in Americka, you already know the answere to this! Just imagine the, mostly male, competition for food, any food, cause every penney you get is taken from you and goes to pay your E'xs "pool cleaner," (true story),...so It's no surprize that in the name of protecting children, that decaying shit on the side of the road is also whitheld from starving men!!!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."