ryoder

Google confirms Austin as next Fiber city

I saw a screen shot of a 640mgps somewhere. The guy said he downloaded a 8.5gb game in 4 minutes. Gnarly.

That's a problem we're going to be running into soon here. 2.5 gig connection from the ISP, but none of our devices support anything better than a 1g uplink.:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I get 20mbps through Comcast and don't even make use of that amount of bandwidth. I suppose if I streamed from Netflix or something, I might want higher speeds. Game installs from Steam take less time than it'd take to drive to the store and buy the game.

I can grab MP3s from Amazon across the cellular network faster than I could have downloaded them over the wire 6 or 7 years ago. I used to spring $200 a month for 128K ISDN service, back in the day. I'm pretty happy with where I am now! Before I switched to Comcast, I had DSL service through Qwest. That was pretty pathetic. My room mate would start up a download and my ping times would go to 2 seconds. 20mbps seems to be the sweet spot for my household.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I get 20mbps through Comcast and don't even make use of that amount of bandwidth. I suppose if I streamed from Netflix or something, I might want higher speeds. Game installs from Steam take less time than it'd take to drive to the store and buy the game.

I can grab MP3s from Amazon across the cellular network faster than I could have downloaded them over the wire 6 or 7 years ago. I used to spring $200 a month for 128K ISDN service, back in the day. I'm pretty happy with where I am now! Before I switched to Comcast, I had DSL service through Qwest. That was pretty pathetic. My room mate would start up a download and my ping times would go to 2 seconds. 20mbps seems to be the sweet spot for my household.

I had Qwest DSL for years, but the best I can get from them at this time/location is 7Mbs.

In experimenting with a networked TV tuner (HDHomeRun), I found that the max network usage with an HD TV stream never exceeds ~14Mbps. So last year I went to Comcast and subscribed to the 16/2 Mbps service (with 24/4 Mbps burst). Currently, Comcast is offering "up to 105Mbps" in my area, which I expect is really 70Mbps *sustained* with 150% burst.

Interestingly, my VZW LTE service is 16/16 Mbps, so my iPhone has the same downstream speed, and 8x upstream speed of my residential service.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Darn! Verizon or Google better make Denver next, is all I can say :(

Seems to me Qwest needs to wake up and start replacing copper with fiber, else they will become irrelevant. When I canceled my DSL, I also canceled my POTS, so I have no account with the local telco.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.