kai2k1

Packing a Safire 2

I'm thinking of buying a Safire 2 sometime in the near future. I looked through Icarus' site and they recommend a psycho pack on them. I am wondering if and could something go wrong if you would go with a straight up pro pack?

Thanks

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I usually pack psycho-pack them for about the first 30 jumps to help slay the ZP demon, then revert back to a pro-pack.

Nothing really wrong with a psycho-pack, just my preference.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The psycho-pack was invented as a way of handling slippery ZP material. Nothing is wrong with doing a standard pro pack. I have propacked all my canopies including a safire 209 and a safire2 169 and 139. As long as you keep the lines clear and the slider against the stops, you will get nothing but the greatest openings from that canopy.

If you feel the need, get the help of a qualified packer/rigger to give you some tips on the handling and packing of new ZP. You might like the idea of psychopacking. Just make sure whichever way you pack, you pay close attention to keeping the slider against the stops. Its the single biggest problem I see with new packers and new canopies.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I pro-pack my Safire 2 and do not have trouble unless I get sloppy. Personally, I think the psycho-pack is better when the canopy is new, I just get in a hurry and revert back to what I am proficient with.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Whatup Kai,

I put around 50 jumps on a fairly new Safire 2 149 not so long ago. I standard pro-packed it with no worries and got nice, on heading openings every time.

What i found most helpful was just hanging the nose (as opposed to stuffing it into the pack job) and rolling the tail nice and tight.

take it easy
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Yep, just let the nose hang, roll the shit out of the tail and pro-pack it. I tried psycho-packing mine and I found that it isn't any easier or faster, and my openings were usually 180deg off. And if you flip the bag back the wrong way, things get REALLY interesting!
For me, Pro-packing gives much better openings. If you have trouble with it being too slippery, try S-folding it into the bag as opposed to trying to pull the bag over the completed folds.

Yep, just got my Safire 2 and jumped it over the weekend. They are definitely slick but the reverse s pack is the way to go as Gazoo pointed out. I make sure when I get my d-bag standing vertical to really grip and squeeze it with my legs. That way, you keep that air out and size of the canopy workable. New canopies like to slide and expand easily. You may have a trash pack or two at first but the Safire 2 opens fine with them as long as you make sure your flake and lines are good. Anyway, see http://www.packingparachutes.com/techniques_tips/greed.htm for tips on the reverse s fold.

One's destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things. ~ Henry Miller