WatchYourStep

Truckers....

My dad just took a job as a cross country trucker. Can any of you suggest a GPS? My dad says he's looking for one specifically for people who drive big rigs. He stated that some of them will send you ways so that you don't come across (under) a low bridge.

Suggestions?

Thanks

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

There are "Truck Specific" gps units that aren't supposed to route on roads that trucks don't belong on.

Garmin has the best maps, from what I've heard.

They are a fabulous tool. But they have faults and limitations.

And trusting them blindly is foolish. Far too many people have wound up looking really, really stupid and said "But the gps told me to go here."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Ditto what wolver said...
Facebook has a page...trucker daily fail
A lot of the guys stuck under low bridges will blame it on gps.
I don't care how "truck friendly" it says it is
I dont care how many additional inputs you can put in it such as height and weight.
Anyone who's been out here for a minute will tell you they're crap and it's not just because were stuck in our old school ways.

That being said, I've got a PC miler. Back when the flat screen models first started appearing it was probably the best when it came to being truck friendly.
GPS should only be used as a mile counter and maybe a reminding system that your exit is approaching soon.
First and foremost he needs to get a truck specific map and learn how to read it. Until he's familiar with the highway system he needs to use it. I suggest he spend 15 minutes before each load using that map and writing down his directions and then double checking to make sure the gps is sending him the same way.
They sell a nice laminate one that is updated yearly ( although you don't need to buy a new one yearly). It has everything in it a trucker would ever need to know.
An accident of any kind is the surest way of never getting into a good company hauling freight worth hauling, especially when your starting out. He is 100% responsible for that truck, where it goes and how it gets there.

One last little piece of advice...
I don't know your dads financial situation or if your looking into this to get him a present for Xmas but if the budget is limited right now then he would be much better off getting things to make himself comfortable on the road in a truck which sorta becomes your home.
Chances are they aren't just going to turn him loose. I don't know who he went to drive for but I do have my hunches since there's not all that many companies that take on rookies in the long haul biz.
They will be telling him his routes and where to stop for fuel. Even with his directions handed to him, he needs to take the time to make sure they are correct.
Don't ever assume directions are correct!
Here's something I've personally run across many times over the years...
Pick up a load in LA, destination Pa....
Done it for 30+ years! no problem...so off I go because I know my way around.
I've never been to the actual destination so when I get close the morning of I call the place a) to let them know I'll be there so they can be ready for me and b) I need directions for the best way to get there.
Surely they will know, they work there and drive there every day , right?
I call and get ahold of the person who works there and commutes there every day and probably been asked this same question lots of times...
They give me directions and now surely the last few miles of my trip will be a breeze.
Not so...the person on the phone goes to work every day in a CAR. They are not thinking big truck!
Sure sometimes you'll call and they'll know perfect directions and will even warn you of routes not capable of handling a big truck but other times they'll sound just as confident as they tell you directions only there's a low overpass or a bridge that can't handle your weight ( HUGE fine and even worse if you take out the bridge) or simply a turn that you won't be able to make.
So bottom line...you always have to check that map!
A tv/DVD, a microwave, a fridge, a wireless service so you can get internet, coffee maker just to name a few things might make life on the road more comfortable to start then a GPS that is priced higher because it's " truck friendly".

swisschris62

A tv/DVD, a microwave, a fridge, a wireless service so you can get internet, coffee maker just to name a few things might make life on the road more comfortable to start then a GPS that is priced higher because it's " truck friendly".

One of these... http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Arctic-Quilt-Lined-Overall/dp/B0041T42LY
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

***A tv/DVD, a microwave, a fridge, a wireless service so you can get internet, coffee maker just to name a few things might make life on the road more comfortable to start then a GPS that is priced higher because it's " truck friendly".

One of these... http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Arctic-Quilt-Lined-Overall/dp/B0041T42LY

EXACTLY....
Being a flatbedder I've got coveralls for warm weather, insulated overalls for crappy weather and a full arctic suit all by carhartt.
They never leave the truck.
I beieve in being prepared for anything, anytime. I've seen some crazy weather in the mountains over the years when you least expect it.
I also adjust my brakes, grease the truck and fix a lot of my own stuff.
Coveralls and wet wipes can save the day sometimes!
U DOT down there?

Thought I seen someone comment to that effect on here.
Couldn't remember if it was here or a truck forum I'm on and thought it was you.
Don't even know how I put all that together.
Maybe a similar name on the other forum.
Anyway, don't really matter either way. I don't have a problem with dot for the most part. Can't ever say I was treated unfairly.
Didn't really mean to pry...

amen to the map! this should be first and foremost in any trucker's skillset. i can still tell you the best way to get from one city to another by memory. as for in town directions, my trick would be to stop and ask. a lot. if it was more than three turns, i would just smile and nod, go to the end of the three, and stop and ask someone else. and in nyc and some of the bigger cities, they will try to sell directions. i would tell them that if they wrote it down i would give them $5, otherwise, kiss it.

beat advice is to get a map and a notepad.

I don't stop and ask for directions but I do call the places where I'm going.
I can tell you I'm amazed at some of the answers I've gotten over the years as to where they are.
You would think people would know where they are and could explain what they did to get there.
Not always the case. I'll ask but I always double check. You can't expect people to understand how big a truck really is or how much room we need.
All the google earth type programs have made life much easier.
If I'm going somewhere I haven't been before, I get the satelite image of the building and can then see what driveway I need to use and everything. I prefer doing it like that as opposed to doing a 20 mph crawl down the road in front of a 60,000sq. ft building looking for an entrance with 4 wheelers rolling behind me getting annoyed.