NWFlyer

High Altitude Chamber Training Information

I've been researching high altitude chamber training in the U.S. as my S.O. and I would like to do the chamber training and we're fortunate to have the option at a relatively nearby AFB (Beale). Training is offered both at participating military facilities as well as at the training center in Oklahoma City.

Thought I'd share the info I've found so far in case other people are interested in going through the training as well.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/
Description of the course.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology//
This link has all the basic information about the training program.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/directions/
Link to all the participating military facilities.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/enrollment/how_to/
What you need to enroll.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/medical/
General information on medical certification

https://medxpress.faa.gov/
Site where you can complete the application electronically and have it sent to the doc that will be doing your exam.

It'd be great if people could add info about training in other countries as well!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Lots of fun....enjoy it....I still have my DVD and watch it every once in a while for a laugh....

Instructor: Jeremy put your mask back on or you will die
Me: I couldn't say anything because I was just laughing uncontrollably.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

How much does the training cost?

It's $50 for the course, plus whatever it costs you for the exam for the medical certificate.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/enrollment/applying/

For anyone who might be interested in Beale, they have classes in Sept & November this year which are already full; pending staffing confirmation they're hoping to be up to a monthly schedule starting in January. The gentleman I spoke with at the FAA suggested getting in touch in early December for the 2011 schedule.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's great training (I teach it at our facility in HoustonB|). Although the military chamber units conduct the training on a (when available) basis. The CAMI rep (good friend of mine) will try and have the local military installation put together a course, if enough personnel are in attendance. Usually they like a full chamber (16 students), but have been known to conduct the trng with less. Don DeMuth (aka DJ) at OKC can fill you in. Tell him Buck sent ya!

It's great training (I teach it at our facility in HoustonB|). Although the military chamber units conduct the training on a (when available) basis. The CAMI rep (good friend of mine) will try and have the local military installation put together a course, if enough personnel are in attendance. Usually they like a full chamber (16 students), but have been known to conduct the trng with less. Don DeMuth (aka DJ) at OKC can fill you in. Tell him Buck sent ya!

Yep, Don is the one who returned my call re: training @ Beale. Very hepful, even gave me his email to follow up later in the year re: classes next year.

Bummer ... just followed up with Don DeMuth at the FAA and received this email:

The Air Force has suspended the USAF/FAA Training Agreement until further notice..... Maybe this coming summer we might have a update on the training agreement???? We conduct FAA physiology at Oklahoma City and the courses are FREE!

Looks like the web site has been updated to reflect that classes are currently only offered in Oklahoma.

I had to do this for an aviation physiology class during my undergrad. Definitely cool stuff and a real eye opener to the effects of hypoxia that will sneak up on you quietly. I would definitely recommend this for anybody who's even remotely interested in doing it.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Bummer ... just followed up with Don DeMuth at the FAA and received this email:

The Air Force has suspended the USAF/FAA Training Agreement until further notice..... Maybe this coming summer we might have a update on the training agreement???? We conduct FAA physiology at Oklahoma City and the courses are FREE!

Looks like the web site has been updated to reflect that classes are currently only offered in Oklahoma.

I forgot about this thread. Yes, the Air Force stopped training for civilians a several months ago. Something about budget/training loads.

Chubby was a good thing as I recall....It was minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit at altitude and we were so layered with clothing I felt like the Michelin Man.

Attending the Chamber training at Edwards AFB and making the jumps at APV was a tremendous experience and education.

Sparky, is the jumper in the right forward seat of the King Air Bob Smethurst by any chance?

Chubby was a good thing as I recall....It was minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit at altitude and we were so layered with clothing I felt like the Michelin Man.

Attending the Chamber training at Edwards AFB and making the jumps at APV was a tremendous experience and education.

Sparky, is the jumper in the right forward seat of the King Air Bob Smethurst by any chance?

I am glad you enjoyed it Robert, it always scared the shit out of me. The guy in the seat on the right facing aft is me with the console and gauges in front of me. The guy on the left that looks like a deer in the head light is Dave Sanders.
I remember Bob. I was on the load where he had the CC. I worked on the other guy Pat Foley a friend of mine that jumped Apple Valley mostly. Sad day.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yeah it was awesome, one of my most memorable jumps. You guys pulled out all the stops to make it safe, educational, and enjoyable. Not saying I wasn't scared too.....one would be foolish not to be.

A sad day indeed, I left ELS to drive over the hill and pick up Bob's car and return it home. I remember Pat as well, nice job saving him.

Btw, a possible addendum to your tag line....'but you can teach it a lesson every now and again".