airdvr

91 yo stepfather hooked on vikes!

Unfortunately, yes, I can believe it. I can also believe that he doesn't think he's hooked, he just needs them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Unfortunately, yes, I can believe it. I can also believe that he doesn't think he's hooked, he just needs them.

Wendy P.

Nailed it. Rox had a 'come to jebus' meeting with his doctor today, and the pharmacies involved. Unfortunately she is not a blood relative and there is little she can do except protest to his daughter and brother.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

***Unfortunately, yes, I can believe it. I can also believe that he doesn't think he's hooked, he just needs them.

Wendy P.

Nailed it. Rox had a 'come to jebus' meeting with his doctor today, and the pharmacies involved. Unfortunately she is not a blood relative and there is little she can do except protest to his daughter and brother.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Is the daughter local or even close to him? Any way you guys are able to get his medical Power of Attorney to be more involved in his care? Sucky situation. Good luck.
Always be kinder than you feel.

All safeguards can be circumvented. Drug seekers can go to different physicians who may not be connected. Even if they are, some physicians are more careful than others.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

LuckyMcSwervy

******Unfortunately, yes, I can believe it. I can also believe that he doesn't think he's hooked, he just needs them.

Wendy P.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Is the daughter local or even close to him? Any way you guys are able to get his medical Power of Attorney to be more involved in his care? Sucky situation. Good luck.

Thanks. His blood relatives need to step up. We've strongly suggested that they do. Unfortunately he has money and I don't believe his family is interested in prolonging his life. He won't go to assisted living, he gets confused, and he's STILL DRIVING! We've even appealed to his families monetary interests by explaining how if he seriously injures someone or worse their inheritance will be gone. No use as of yet.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

*********Unfortunately, yes, I can believe it. I can also believe that he doesn't think he's hooked, he just needs them.

Wendy P.

Thanks. His blood relatives need to step up. We've strongly suggested that they do. Unfortunately he has money and I don't believe his family is interested in prolonging his life. He won't go to assisted living, he gets confused, and he's STILL DRIVING! We've even appealed to his families monetary interests by explaining how if he seriously injures someone or worse their inheritance will be gone. No use as of yet.

Ahhhh..... unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with people of the "my inheritance" mindset and not doing what's "right". The doctor, in my opinion, isn't doing his/her job if the patient is getting confused and still driving. They're supposed to notify DMV. They CAN have his license yanked. Make the doctor the "bad guy" not the "perceived" heirs.

Ugh. I'm probably not saying anything you haven't already thought of. Sorry.
Always be kinder than you feel.