Zoter

Cutaway system for 2K Composites FF2 helmet

Hi all...
Am looking to buy one of these great helmets , but am not too convinced about the 3 ring cutaway system option.
Does anyone have some pictures/experince with this system they would like to share?

Or has anyone made their own cutaway system for this helmet that they would like to show me the design?

( Flamers note....already done exhaustive seraches on archive....and have not found loads on this subject..;))

I've currently got the system although it only uses 2 rings. I think it's great. From some very basic tests involving the near suspension of people by their heads whilst on weather hold it was the only one that worked reliably under a load.

There are many other ways of creating a cutaway system for the helmet though. Some are better than others. One of the better designs for the FF2 involves a zip tie and Slink hat (or similar).

I used this for a while before getting the manufacturers cutwaway system and know several people who continue to do so. It works rather well actually but again could produce intermittent results when loaded if you didn't do it -just- right.

The manufacturers system is simple, easy to use, comfortable and works like a charm but like I said; there are other ways to approach the problem.

As posted above, there is loads of info in the video forum from people with far more experience than I.

Just to back up what mr2mk1g is saying, it's a 2-ring system (see photo), and I have had similar success during our wonderful British weather hold fun!! Also, the cutaway handle is not as obtrusive as it looks from the photo as it sits just under your chin pretty much out of the way. It's a very comfortable and versatile helmet.

A ha ....I see something in that photo I have not seen before.
So the cutaway assembly is 'fitted' by attaching it to the helmet with a small nut and the ratchet on the left side is what you use to crank down for tightness?????

I had previously thought that the cutaway system was held in place by the velcro on the right side of the helmet[:/]

And from what I can see....if you dont like the cutaway handle....you could always mod your own and reduce the size....right?

Yup - it arrives unsecured on the right hand side.

The 2 ring circus is attached by way of a length of webbing. One end is secured to the helmet, the other is looped through the big ring and back up the side of the helmet where it remains loose at the time of purchase.

You adjust the chincup to the appropriate tightness then burn a hole through the webbing with a soldering iron or some other hot tool. The bolt then goes through the hole securing the webbing and ensuring the chincup remains where you put it.

The only velcro in the system a) holds the cutaway loop to the chincup and b) secures to the side of the helmet a soft housing for the excess cutaway cable after it passes through the 2 ring circus.