SpaceX Dragon Zero-Zero Abort Test Successful

video

Pad abort. Zero-Zero means zero altitude, zero velocity. A common test for escape systems.

The next test will be a Max-Q abort B|

That would have been a fun ride....:SB|:D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

BillyVance

That does look like some gnarly G-forces at play there! B|

0 to 100 in -1- second, which would be fun to say the least.

I'm not so sure the tumbling as a result of drogue and main deployments would be as much fun.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***That does look like some gnarly G-forces at play there! B|

0 to 100 in -1- second, which would be fun to say the least.

I'm not so sure the tumbling as a result of drogue and main deployments would be as much fun.

I wonder what the attitude of the crew in the capsule is while under parachute. Looks like it wouldn't be much fun in any attitude, but if they're feet high and rocking, it would be even less fun.

My initial reaction was wondering why they didn't suspend it completely upright under the canopies but I guess the nose could house some other sensors and they didn't have much better place for the parachute system.

That and they probably don't ever expect to have to use it. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

pchapman

wondering why they didn't suspend it completely upright under the canopies but I guess

Who knows, maybe hitting the water at an angle would make the impact G's slightly less of a belly flop.

Good point. Safety over comfort.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>My initial reaction was wondering why they didn't suspend it completely upright under
>the canopies but I guess the nose could house some other sensors and they didn't
>have much better place for the parachute system.

The nose contains the docking port (under the aeroshell, which swings out of the way.)

Side note - the same engines that provide the abort capability also provide the ability to soft-land the capsule after re-entry (no more water recoveries.)

billvon

>My initial reaction was wondering why they didn't suspend it completely upright under
>the canopies but I guess the nose could house some other sensors and they didn't

The nose contains the docking port (under the aeroshell, which swings out of the way.)

Side note - the same engines that provide the abort capability also provide the ability to soft-land the capsule after re-entry (no more water recoveries.)

It's one of the more brilliant things about the design.

Previously (Mercury, Apollo), the abort stage was dead weight during launch and never used. Now it has two distinct functions for the same launch weight with back-ups. Because those parachutes aren't just there for the test, they can also be used if the rockets for landing don't look like they'll be working correctly.
quade -

quade

***>My initial reaction was wondering why they didn't suspend it completely upright under

It's one of the more brilliant things about the design.

Previously (Mercury, Apollo), the abort stage was dead weight during launch and never used. Now it has two distinct functions for the same launch weight with back-ups. Because those parachutes aren't just there for the test, they can also be used if the rockets for landing don't look like they'll be working correctly.

The Super Draco is a different design that other escape towers. The Apollo tower was solid propellant, as was Mercury (Gemini used ejection seats). The Superdraco uses hypergolic and is throttleable and capable of many restarts. It's a very well proven and established design. Hypergolics have been used for RCS thrusters and for main engines for fifty years of manned space flight.

I'm reckoning that they'll find some use for them outside of escape and landing. Much like the OMS ended up being used during launch with SSMEs because it improved launch performance.

This is Musk's greatness. He is coming up with new applications and uses for proven technology. I'm impressed

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

The Super Draco is a different design that other escape towers. The Apollo tower was solid propellant, as was Mercury (Gemini used ejection seats). The Superdraco uses hypergolic and is throttleable and capable of many restarts.

Point still stands. Previously they were (if not used) simply extra launch weight and jettisoned never to be seen again.

In this design, they serve multiple purposes. They're never dead weight regardless since they are intended to be used as both launch escape and landing thrusters.
quade -

markharju

video

Pad abort. Zero-Zero means zero altitude, zero velocity. A common test for escape systems.

The next test will be a Max-Q abort B|

That would have been a fun ride....:SB|:D

mh

Digging around to find the canopies manufacturer. Strong? I did find this. Pretty cool.http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=19228.3040
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

quade

***The Super Draco is a different design that other escape towers. The Apollo tower was solid propellant, as was Mercury (Gemini used ejection seats). The Superdraco uses hypergolic and is throttleable and capable of many restarts.

Point still stands. Previously they were (if not used) simply extra launch weight and jettisoned never to be seen again.

In this design, they serve multiple purposes. They're never dead weight regardless since they are intended to be used as both launch escape and landing thrusters.

I wasn't disagreeing with your point. I was expanding on it with KY interpretation.

My wife is hotter than your wife.