BlindBrick

Damn, that thing looks small! Mirage Freebag

Just got my Mirage in this morning and was looking at the freebag. Even though I was assured the rig would handle an R-Max 288, that bad looks absolutely tiny. I checked, and the bag is clearly marked as being the proper size for the rig.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for it?

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

You probably have more experience rigging than me, but I found these useful-
ChutingStar Rant & Rave » Archives » June 2004 » Mastering the Mirage

which was presented in Skydiving Magazine-Issue #277: August 2004

Mirage's online tips are invaluable too http://www.miragesys.com/product_info/on-line_manual/packing1.html

good luck.

Do follow the Mirage manual closely as it has great tips for getting everything to fit and look right...as well as using the tips on the Chutingstar site.

I'm assuming you have an M-8. We have PD-281 reserves in our M-8 Mirages. It fits fine...it's just a lot of material to handle. The closing loop recommendation from Mirage is about 1" too long. Stick with 4.75" (5" max). You can call me if you have problems along the way...

Mike
1-800-877-7199
ChutingStar.com

Do follow the Mirage manual closely as it has great tips for getting everything to fit and look right...as well as using the tips on the Chutingstar site.

I'm assuming you have an M-8. We have PD-281 reserves in our M-8 Mirages. It fits fine...it's just a lot of material to handle. The closing loop recommendation from Mirage is about 1" too long. Stick with 4.75" (5" max). You can call me if you have problems along the way...

Mike
1-800-877-7199

Thanks, I found your article in Skydiving really helpful. I got the thing into the bag, and it does fit though it's definitley full(so thick that my T bodkin is just barely long enough). Unfortunately, between getting a molar strap on and wrestling it into the bag, I've got a lot of uneven lines behind the slider which makes me think that the packjob in now uneven.

Of well, I'll try again tomorrow morning. If nothing else, it's gives me practice with using a molar strap. I normally don't use one, but a friend suggested that once I got used to them that they'd make packing the big canopies a lot easier in this dry Colorado air. Plus it will give me something to do while I wait to see if DHL can actually get stuff unsnarled enough to deliver my main tomorrow. :(

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Hey BlindBrick...on your next attempt try to keep as much material as possible away from the center of the freebag...get that material out to the sides. (Easier said than done...but work toward it.) Those grommets in the freebag should be able to be compressed pretty close together.

Good luck!

Mike
ChutingStar.com