shorehambeach

Florida - what to do with the family ! :-D

Hey Guys and Gals,

We are planning a vacation for Florida in July/August for 4 weeks.

I have spent a fair bit of time in Deland :) but we are going to be based near the Keys somewhere....

There's 4 of us (2 very active kids 14 and 7) and we like to windsurf, surf, fish, high ropes climb camp etc etc

basically fun stuff

Could the locals perhaps list some great places to visit like CableSki/ Shooting/Outdoor stuff - even its a bit whacky.

We'l have a rental car and don't mind travelling

THANKS !!!

(PS - we do not do theme parks disney etc !!!!!)

shorehambeach

Hey Guys and Gals,

We are planning a vacation for Florida in July/August for 4 weeks.

I have spent a fair bit of time in Deland :) but we are going to be based near the Keys somewhere....

There's 4 of us (2 very active kids 14 and 7) and we like to windsurf, surf, fish, high ropes climb camp etc etc

basically fun stuff

Could the locals perhaps list some great places to visit like CableSki/ Shooting/Outdoor stuff - even its a bit whacky.

We'l have a rental car and don't mind travelling

THANKS !!!

(PS - we do not do theme parks disney etc !!!!!)

I'd be able to give you more help if you were going to Central Florida. I've only made it down to the Keys a few times though. On one trip, the kids and I did enjoy swimming with the dolphins at the Dolphin Research Center in Marathon. We also rented kayaks and had fun paddling around.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Excellent fishing (charters) off of Islamorada (better than KW, imho).

The lobster sport season ("mini-season") is 27/28 Jul. Can be a zoo-ish debacle. The regular recreational season starts 6 Aug. Can be a spendy charter, tho. You can do it with a snorkel but it is easier with tanks...obviously.

If you think you can fish...try your hand at bonefish. :)

Surfing is better along mainland eastern FL. For general consistency you're looking at from New Smyrna in the north and Sebastian Inlet to the south (Cocoa is in the middle). Basically, Brevard County. TBH, though, surfing in FL in the summer months can be sucky...can be pretty flat. Much further south...FLL/Miami etc the Bahamas block the swell for the most part.

Rick

Also look for air boat rides in the everglades.

We did that last May. It was fun but the gators were inland due to drought conditions. We were out an hour and I think 30-45 minutes would have been fine.

We enjoyed doing a manatee tour, but that might be a little low key for the kids.

I know you said you don't do theme parks. That's too bad because Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando is our family's all time favorite. Great rides, smart layout, lots of water features to keep you and the kids cool on the hottest days. And no giant rodent cartoon characters. :D

Don't mind the sucky weather Skymama - you should try living in England!

I've been to England three times, and each time the weather has been lovely. I think the "bad weather" story is just a ruse to keep the Americans away! :P

After you've gotten yourself situated here, make one of your first stops a trip to the store to get sunscreen and bug spray. Get some of the "deep woods" spray that will more bugs than just mosquitoes if you're going to be around the mangroves, woods, everglades, etc.

Sometimes it's yucky to put the spray on after you've gotten yourself all cleaned up, so one product I like are these wristbands. I usually wear one on a wrist and the opposite ankle and they work pretty well, especially if you want to hang outside at night. I pass them out at July 4th parties when we host, and everyone is always appreciative.

Also, make sure everyone in the family has wide brimmed hats and sunglasses and resist the urge to wear tank tops that expose your shoulders to the hot sun. I can't tell you how many visitors I've seen with bright red, blistered shoulders!

Oh, and assume that you're going to have a lot of days with downtime between 2-5 pm. Afternoon thunderstorms are a common occurrence, but they usually roll in and out pretty quickly.

Is that too much "mom" advice? :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I am a south florida native and would recommend a fishing charter. it won't be cheap but don't try to bargain shop the good ones are costly for a reason, they WILL get you fish if you can afford it. the keys are the fishing capital of the world with a very diverse and delicious selection of fish and some charters will prepare the fish for you or you can take it to a restaurant and for a fee they will prepare it. of course if you don't like seafood and fishing then disregard this , but in my experience kids find it pretty cool when they reel in their own mahi mahi or grouper and get to eat it that night for dinner

The ONLY place in Florida that was absolutely mosquito-free... was the Walt Disney resort. Not one little blood sucking bug. I commented to my wife after our trip there last October and she got online and found they have a state-of-the art mosquito-trap system all over that attracts them and deep freezes them. :o

But... other than that, the attractions? Meh... our girls had a blast and that's all that matters, but I'll be damned if I'm going back there again. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban