Amazon

RIP Andy Grove

RIP Andy Grove

Andy Grove, who fled from Nazi and Soviet oppression to become one of the most powerful business leaders in the global tech industry as the chairman and CEO of Intel, died Monday. He was 79. The cause of death was not reported, though Grove was a longtime sufferer of Parkinson's disease.
Grove was the first hire at Intel, which was founded in 1968 by former employees of Fairchild Semiconductor. Grove joined on day one as the company's director of engineering, became Intel's president in 1979, and its CEO in 1987. He stepped aside as CEO when he developed prostate cancer, but he continued to serve as chairman of the board until 2004. During his leadership, Intel successfully transformed itself from a maker of memory chips to the world's largest manufacturer of semiconductors, growing revenue from $1.9 billion to $26 billion.

"Steve, I don't give a [expletive] about Apple."

That transformation, which Grove charted in two widely read management textbooks, earned him a reputation as one of the smartest thinkers in Silicon Valley and made Intel a rare company that continued to grow after dramatically altering its core business. Grove was idolized by some of tech's best-known leaders, including former Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who called him in 1997 to ask whether he should return to Apple. ("Steve, I don't give a [expletive] about Apple," came the response, according to Walter Isaacson's biography Steve Jobs.)

Amazon

I worked for Intel from 92 to 99. Never met Andy Grove in person, but I did run into Gordon Moore a few times.

Grove was a harsh task master and now doubt one of the driving forces that keep Intel disciplined and focused during the high growth years between the 386 and Pentium II chips.

AlanS

I worked for Intel from 92 to 99. Never met Andy Grove in person, but I did run into Gordon Moore a few times.

Grove was a harsh task master and now doubt one of the driving forces that keep Intel disciplined and focused during the high growth years between the 386 and Pentium II chips.

I lived in Hillsboro OR during that time period.. and did consulting work at several of the facilities there in the Silicon Forest . Most people do not know who he is.. but the tech sector would be a far different place had this immigrant/refugee not escaped from his homeland and those who controlled it.

Amazon

RIP Andy Grove

Andy Grove, who fled from Nazi and Soviet oppression to become one of the most powerful business leaders in the global tech industry as the chairman and CEO of Intel, died Monday. He was 79. The cause of death was not reported, though Grove was a longtime sufferer of Parkinson's disease.
Grove was the first hire at Intel, which was founded in 1968 by former employees of Fairchild Semiconductor. Grove joined on day one as the company's director of engineering, became Intel's president in 1979, and its CEO in 1987. He stepped aside as CEO when he developed prostate cancer, but he continued to serve as chairman of the board until 2004. During his leadership, Intel successfully transformed itself from a maker of memory chips to the world's largest manufacturer of semiconductors, growing revenue from $1.9 billion to $26 billion.

That transformation, which Grove charted in two widely read management textbooks, earned him a reputation as one of the smartest thinkers in Silicon Valley and made Intel a rare company that continued to grow after dramatically altering its core business. Grove was idolized by some of tech's best-known leaders, including former Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who called him in 1997 to ask whether he should return to Apple. ("Steve, I don't give a [expletive] about Apple," came the response, according to Walter Isaacson's biography Steve Jobs.)

Intell can suck my cock. Last time I flew to work on one of their projects I drug up after. Fuck them.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

*** RIP Andy Grove

Intell can suck my cock. Last time I flew to work on one of their projects I drug up after. Fuck them.

Is that kind of action common at the Ronler Campus?? Was clean room attire required??