MWGemini

How much can a Mirage M3 hold?

I am considering purchasing a Mirage G3 system that was advertised in the classifieds on this site. The owner has told me the following:

tag says type-M3, serial no. 03814, and 17
17+.5 whatever that means.
custom made for me, 5'11" 160lbs. with unisyn harness system, all
stainless steel

According to his ad, it currently has a Stiletto 150 main and a PD170 reserve (guessing its a 176). According to the Mirage site, http://www.miragesys.com/order/sizing/size-m3.html, the 150 is a tight fit, and a main such as a Sabre 170 isn't even listed, but looks to be a tight fit, if it's even possible. The part that gets me, however, is that the PD176R is not even listed, which to me implies that either it won't fit, or is a very tight fit.

My main question is: can the M3 actually hold a PD176R and a Sabre170 main? Is it possible the tag is wrong and it's actually an M4 or M5? ( http://www.miragesys.com/order/sizing/size-m4.html & http://www.miragesys.com/order/sizing/size-m5.html ) Or is it more likely the owner is mistaken in saying its a PD170 reserve?

I am still on student status, but I only weigh 135lbs, so I am hoping to be able to jump a 170 a few months after I get my A. However, I want to be sure that his rig can actually FIT a 170 before I make any plans to purchase it. Another thing- assuming that is is possible, but very tight, is that going to make it a safety issue? Besides the obvious added packing difficulty, and maybe having to extend the closing loop, would stretching the container cause a safety issue of any sort? I know a lot of these questions may seem stupid or common sense, but I am so new to the sport, and it seems like there is a lot of contrasting information from the research I've done.

Thanks,

Mike

The 17 stands for the main lift web measurement, the 17.5 for the leg pad measurement and the +.5 for the stabilizer/lower lateral measurement. Get measured by your local Mirage dealer to see if this rig will even fit you first.

As to the reserve, hopefully its a PD 160. A PD176 reserve will fit in a M3, but is one size too big for the container. Most riggers will have a hard time getting the 176 to fit properly without damaging the grommets/flaps and still making the container look good.

As to the Sabre170 main, it will fit, it will just be very tight. With the canopies you want to jump, you would be happier with a M4 Mirage.

Anyway, just double-check with the owner on the container size/canopies and find out if the rig will even fit you.

Mike
ChutingStar.com