kallend

Amazon Drive and Prime Photos

I have a lot of photos in a folder on Prime Photos that I wish to move to a folder on Amazon Drive.

I see no obvious way to do this other than downloading the Prime Photos folder to my PC and then uploading it to Drive.

The canned "help" gives no answer, and the human at the help desk in Bangalore is no better.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you really care about them, you'll want to download the photos to a local drive regardless. Hard drives are cheap insurance against corporate shenanigans.

As for the move to Amazon Drive, I can't help you there. Then again, I would never upload anything to Amazon. Regardless of the pricing or benefits, Amazon can not be trusted as far as privacy goes. Not in any way, shape, or form.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

If you really care about them, you'll want to download the photos to a local drive regardless. Hard drives are cheap insurance against corporate shenanigans.

As for the move to Amazon Drive, I can't help you there. Then again, I would never upload anything to Amazon. Regardless of the pricing or benefits, Amazon can not be trusted as far as privacy goes. Not in any way, shape, or form.

It's OK, everyone is fully clothed.....

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***If you really care about them, you'll want to download the photos to a local drive regardless. Hard drives are cheap insurance against corporate shenanigans.

It's OK, everyone is fully clothed.....

There may be other privacy issues besides being naked.

Off the top of my head might be;
Location data in EXIF
Categorization of your lifestyle via image recognition
Facial recognition of loved ones who didn't realize potential issues

That last one if really one of my biggest issues. That fact that every photo we take and post on-line can be used to sell out unwitting loved ones.

I really wonder about all those moms and dads who endlessly post photos of their kids to Facebook.

We are complicit in our own creation of the surveillance state.
quade -

I really wonder about all those moms and dads who endlessly post photos of their kids to Facebook.

^this.... I have written non-media policies with schools and other activities the kid participates in to not take pics. Even Grandma can't put her on facebook.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

^this.... I have written non-media policies with schools and other activities the kid participates in to not take pics. Even Grandma can't put her on facebook.

The technology grew far too fast for most people to even begin to comprehend the long term ramifications.

Now, I don't want to sound like Gampa Simpson or whatever, but in my day, parents took sometimes goofy and embarrassing photos of kids, but they went into scrap books and were never accessible to the general world. Now, they're on FB and can potentially screw over a kid years down the road.

I don't think that ought to be an option -- at all.

I think it should be up to the over-18-year-old as to what photos of his or her youth get released into the wild.
quade -

We are in total agreement.

NO: They Violate Privacy, and Without a Child Giving Consent
By Morgan G. Ames

Facebook seems to be full of friends’ adorable babies and precocious children. But a healthy proportion of parents—myself included—have decided that sharing photos carries too many risks for their children.

Why do we opt out? And what issues should parents consider when posting pictures of their children online?

My own reasons center on privacy and consent. In the early days of the Web, those few with an online presence often felt that they were protected by security through obscurity. But in today’s world, data mining is big business. Much of our content is hosted on sites where we may not only lack control over what happens to it, but where it is aggressively used in aggregation and profiling.

The pictures parents post may follow children from birth to death as their data profiles are sold and resold to marketers. They can reinforce prejudices and barriers as marketers decide what sort of person someone is, what kinds of content will be marketed to them, and even what kinds of loans they might be worthy of based on their past. And there are likely long-term implications of these data profiles that we don’t yet understand.

It can also be difficult for parents to keep in mind just who their actual audience is. They may be targeting grandparents in their posts, but on many sites, including Facebook, sharing to one’s whole network is the default that many never change, and photos are visible years in the future. It can also be hard to control re-sharing, so that photos that people think are private can eventually take on a life of their own.

These issues are thorny enough when deciding to post pictures of ourselves online—in fact, research shows that adults are sharing less personal content on social-networking sites (much to Facebook’s chagrin!). They may be compounded for children.

Some people who share photos say they are building an online community. Indeed, there are definitely benefits to creating such support structures of parents. But the benefits to children are less clear, and the risks are high enough that I would encourage parents to think about posting a few paragraphs of text instead of a photograph.

It’s also true, as some people who share argue, that information will end up online eventually. But rather than use that fact as a reason to post photographs of our own, we should take it as a warning to be even more cognizant of the information about us and our children that ends up online.

Finally, there’s the crucial issue of consent. Children are rarely given the opportunity to agree to having pictures of themselves shared online by others, and they may not fully understand what they are consenting to. Children also often don’t have control over how they are portrayed when others are posting. They may not understand how that embarrassingly cute photo of them that parents adore might come back to haunt them years later when bullies or future employers or bitter ex-lovers unearth it.

This isn’t to say youth don’t make missteps when managing their own online identities. But allowing them to create those identities themselves, rather than contending with something their parents have already crafted for them, could be an important part of developing independence while maintaining trust.

Ms. Ames is a postdoctoral scholar at the Center for Science, Technology, Medicine, and Society and a fellow at the Center for Technology, Society and Policy at the University of California, Berkeley. She can be reached at [email protected].

SOURCE: https://www.wsj.com/articles/should-parents-post-photos-of-their-children-on-social-media-1463968922

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi Paul,

The technology grew far too fast for most people to even begin to comprehend the long term ramifications.

I think it should be up to the over-18-year-old as to what photos of his or her youth get released into the wild.

Well, with all the nudies out there, ( and then they complain about it ), I sometimes wonder if 18 is sufficient.

:S

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I agree with everything that you have posted on this subject.