MrBrant

main canopy - what should i be looking fer?

hey guys.

I'm relativly new to the forums, and the sport in general. I"ve got about 10 jumps right now, still a student doin progressive freefall.

I'm looking to buy a rig soon - by next year at least. 1 that'll do me for a couple hunderd jumps (even if i must wait another 20 jumps to use it :S )

There's a nice container/main/reserve commin up for sale at my DZ, but the main would be much too small for me. Hafta sell that, and buy a different one

Talking to my instructor/rigger guy, he's suggesting a 220 sq. foot square canopy Zero-P. (i'm about 225 lbs).

Just wonderin what kind of canopies (models, etc) i should be keeping my eye open for.

merci beaucoup to all ;)

Brant

I would recommend you jump whatever you can safely borrow from other people and jump, to try things out. That is an important way of finding out what you want.

In terms of "what is safe," you have to talk to your instructors, who will have seen your abilities.

These forums may help you get an idea of what kinds of canopies are more of "beginner" canopies, but there are a lot of variations in their characteristics that even if they can be described in text, you should fly and feel them yourself to see what you like.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

hey guys. thanks
but i think i phrased that wrong.

I'm wondering WHICH canopies would fit that descpription. (square, ZP and 220 available). I would like to know what to keep my eye out for (in classifieds, etc) but usually i can't tell if they are square (vs. eliptical, or semi-e, zp, etc etc. ).

so, if anybody knows off da tops of their heads, i suppose is my question. I'm just gettin into the sport, don't know too much about the different brands and models of canopies

Thanks B|

Best bet is to check out the "gear" section at the top of the page. Virtually all canopies are listed there and you should be able to quickly research any you find and moreover this includes a few reviews too.

Also google the name + "canopy" and you will more than likely come out with the manufactureres website.

Pay attention to their recomended loadings.

More indepth research on a cnopy you have specific interest in would include searching these forums for people talking about them. See what they gripe about and what they commend.

Talk to your instructors before wasting your money or risking your life.