Shivon

HMA Line sets

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that is offering HMA line sets for canopies that were originally sold with spectra / microline sets?

I have done a search and seen that people have been talking about HMA for a few years, and saw an article in the British mag several months ago talking about retrofitting a small cross-braced, but I want to find out if HMA is being offered as an option for the bigger canopies (120 to 170).

Also - have any other riggers had to attach a HMA lineset? What was your experience? Can a bartacker used for Microline also do HMA?

Having installed my share of HMA linesets, no, a standard bartacker isn't the machine for the job. A Straight stitch is used to lock the loops in place, but since HMA sets don't usually have cascades, there are only the tops of the steering lines (which are cascaded) to sew up. Pretty easy job, really, everything else just larksheads in place or slips over a link.

As for whom offers HMA linesets, I don't really know...I've been out of the loop for too long. I know Precision was pretty much the only folks using it last year. I'm sure a quick call to your canopy mfg. would clear up the mystery for you ;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

At this point its Precision for their canopys. PD is playing with their sponsored jumpers on their Velocities and word is they plan on releasing a "comp" line set for the Velocity at some point. But other then that the factories are not selling HMA line kits yet. Some lofts are playing with their own line sets but calculating how to make a non cascaded line set instead of a cascaded could be a stumbling block still.

In terms of a PD canopy you can ask them, but it seems unless you are a Velocity jumper you might have to wait a few years for HMA. It does'nt hurt to ask them though.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yep. HiPer in Germany is the original factory that installed HMA and others adopted it from there is my understanding. The Blade and Nitro where the first with HMA then PA picked up up.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I got a reply back from PD. They indicated the next step would be a competition line set for the Velocity. It would appear it would be a factory retrofit as opposed to a rigger job. Date of release is unknown as yet (still in testing).