LivingLegend

First rig - Advice on canopy size

Im looking to buy my first rig and a very well respected instructor has offered me a used Sabre 170, reserve and cont with cypres2.
Canopy is prob 8 years old but only 3-400 jumps and in good nick.
Dont know what the res is.
Cypres due for 1st 4 year service next year.
£1700 the lot.
I wiegh 165lbs & Ive been jumping Telesis 200 last 30 jumps.

Is this a safe step down for me sizewise ?

Thankyaaarl veeery much!:)

1.618 !

Here's How I read your question.

You currently jump a navigator 200 in a Telesis Harness and container system.

You've been offered a rig with a:
Sabr 170 Mains
Cypres2
Unknown Reserve
Unknown container.

Here are a few questions

Is 165 your exit weight, or your weight with out the extra 25 pounds of equipment?

What is the date of manufacturing of the cantainer?
What Type of container?

Find out what size and type of reserve.

no one here can answer about what is safe for you.With only 50 jumps, I would suggest A wing loading of closer to 1:1. If you weigh 168 plus 25lbs of gear, that would put your main size at closer to a 190. I personally stepped down much faster than that, and maybe it's OK for you, but you need to have your canopy skills evaluated by a professional. Can you do everything on Bill Von's list with the 200? Nothing personal, but at 50 jumps I doubt it.
Another note, I found that by progressing through canopy sizes too quickly, I did not have time to learn certain skills as safely. I've had to learn things on more highly loaded canopies that I should have learned at lower wing loadings.
I've gotten lucky a time or two, not everyone does. It could be the difference between a bruised ego and a broken femur.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

If its a Cypres2 it should not be due for its 4 year for at least 2 more years, and more likely 3 years. It's probally a 2001 Cypres if its due for its 4 year soon since the first Cypres2's were'nt released till summer 2003.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Your instructor will have the best advice for what canopy you should be flying, but if he's the one selling, it's hard to know who to trust. It's like getting a diamond appraised by the jeweler that wants to buy it from you. If multiple instructors that know you and have seen you jump say its a good canopy for you, then it's up to you to decide if you're comfortable. But if the instructors say "it's probably maybe alright for you, just dont do anything stupid," look elsewhere.

But just be wary of the seller telling you what's right for you... I ended up with a 120 reserve in my first rig (not THAT small for me...but smaller than comfortable) when the dealer/my ex rigger happened to have a container for sale that holds a 120 reserve. Now I didn't hear any objections to that from my instructors so maybe it wasn't a horrible choice, but when I bought my second rig, I upsized a bit.

Dave

Well, this is a tough one. My personal opinion is it's pretty small for you at this point. It's possible to get away with though.

The navigator is a ZP topskin f-111 canopy just like the sillohuette. It's quite a bit more forgiving of paninc turns than the 170 sabre will be.

I liked towerrats suggestion of being able to perform the maneuvres on billvons list. It's a good list that will reallly help you evaluate your canopy skills.

The problem isn't whether or not you can land the canopy straight in at the dropzone. Problems occur when you panic turn to avoid a canaopy. Find yourself off the dropzone and have no choice but to land in someone's back yard between the porch and the swingset. Have to turn to avoid power lines.. etc... etc. That's something to think about when choosing your reserve as well.

Jump enough times and you will find yourself landing some of the oddest places:P

The choice is yours but at the stage you're in I'd suggest a larger canopy.

Good luck!

OK, thanks people.
You have confirmed my feeling that its prob too small for me right now and Im never comfortable when the instructor/vendor has a conflict of interest.

Sounds like a 190 would be more appropriate.

Can anyone point me at Bill Von's list ?

Thanks for all your advice guys.

1.618 !

how do you work out the "1" ratio for canopy size? I am 161lbs what do I need to add to work out the minimum canopy size?

You + gear divided by canopy size

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt