CaverX

West Texas Newb

I am excited that my longtime girlfriend has offered me a birthday jump. I found DZ, in the effort to find direct links to dropzones, rather than the sketchy looking "skydiving near " websites. Prior to her offer, I have never mentioned that this has always been something I would like to do.

She thinks this is a one and done type affair, but I expect I will like it too much. The big decision for me is to go for a tandem, or to begin the static line progression. I can begin training and have two static line jumps for the cost of one tandem. (The nearest dropzone is Skydive Eagles Nest, a single Cessna operation, and is 120 mi. away.) My preference is to work towards an A license, but I do not know if I can maintain the monthly commitment due to work conflicts, and budgetary constraints.

I have already learned a lot here on DZ. (I had this vision of strapping on my linemans boots, and buying a cheap action cam to capture my own view, DOH!) Thanks for providing the facts on why these are both bad ideas.

More about me: I am no stranger to low margin of error activities, as I have been doing recreational rope work since a very young age, (rappelling, climbing, caving.) And work as a local theatrical stage rigger, among other things.

I really like that so many of the DZ.com regulars seem to actually *know* each other.
Perhaps one day we will meet.

Skydiving is a really small sport and if you stay in it long enough you will meet lots of folks who post on these forums. Sometimes you will have known them for a while before realizing who they are from DZ.com.

I started the tandem/AFF method and it worked well for me. I'm sure whichever path you choose will be awesome so just go for it!

Welcome to the forums! :)) I'd suggest doing a tandem. My reasoning is because you live so far from a dropzone and don't have the time and money right now to go through training. If you do a tandem, you'll get to experience the thrill of freefall which is a ton of fun! You won't get that in just two jumps if you do static line training. Freefall is awesome!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Welcome. Good for you to avoid the scam sites. They are pretty common. They have a website that says "Skydive in (insert any city in the US here)." And they sell you a gift certificate that you then have to travel a long way to redeem, going past numerous legitimate DZs in the process.
We're a pretty small sport, as was mentioned. We also like to travel around and jump at other places. So a lot of us know each other.

Since you asked, I would go for the tandem. It gives you the entire experience (full altitude, freefall) and it gives you the "safety net" of an instructor right with you. If you decide not to pursue it, the tandem gives you the best experience.
If you do go for your A with static line, it will be at least 6 jumps before you get to your first delay fall, and longer before you get to full altitude.

Ask your instructor to teach you, not just give you a ride. You can learn a lot on a tandem if you want to learn and the instructor is willing to teach.
One of the things is canopy control and traffic patterns. Your first static line (or AFF) jump, you are solo under canopy, receiving direction via radio. Experiencing the canopy flight with an instructor can be very helpful.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo