vintxrgr

new to the sport from austin TX

Hey guys n gals! the names Brian.

I have been interested in the sport for a LONG time now, ive been something of a thrillseeker since my early teens, starting with motocross but branching into downhill longboarding, streetbikes, cliff jumping (into water for now) and pretty much anything else that I could find to do that sparked my interested I was working as a tower climber for a short while but didnt like my company so now I do fiber and electrical drops in a bucket truck :P

since turning 21 I have strayed away from the "party get wasted at the bar" scene and wanted to pursue better highs than all my friends are willing to settle with. doesnt mean I dont like to get a beer, id just rather put my hard earned cash towards memory's I can actually remember ;)

I have got the cash in the back stowed away for my first 7-8 jumps. from what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) after I do those jumps I can "self supervise" and jump with just a coach?

I am looking for some cool people to jump with and maybe someone to coach me though the rest of my jumps, and anyone who's willing to fill me in on the sport !

I cant wait till it stops being windy and rainy EVERY WEEKEND!!!!!

Good choice with your money :)
I can't give you jumping progression information (APF jumper here) but to find a community, just hang out at your DZ, talk to people, introduce yourself, etc...

I don't know if skydiving is a 'thrilling' sport. When experienced jumpers give interviews, it's about the sense of peace and calm once the first few jumps are over, because you're just floating in the sky, having the freedom to move and fly with others.

[Quote "ianyapxw"]Good choice with your money :)
I can't give you jumping progression information (APF jumper here) but to find a community, just hang out at your DZ, talk to people, introduce yourself, etc...

I don't know if skydiving is a 'thrilling' sport. When experienced jumpers give interviews, it's about the sense of peace and calm once the first few jumps are over, because you're just floating in the sky, having the freedom to move and fly with others.

Well the thrill part I asuume will be just like when I hit my first triple in mx or the first time I hit over 175 on a sport bike, both were INSANE at the time but after it was seccond nature it became more like time was standing still. The thing I like most about the "clock stop" effect that lets me focus on something other than when my bills are due or if I should eat that meat loaf in the fridge before it goes bad, like being so focused that I become thoughtless. I havent even imagined what its like to fly with other people but im sure its pretty wild too

Well according to these "beer rules" I found looks like I need to stash some more money lol

ianyapxw

Well I've heard skydiving has a great clock stop effect. :)
It's definitely worth giving a shot though, no harm trying (safe sport) and at least you'll have the experience of doing it.

haha much safer than being on 2 wheels with all those idiot drivers out there, hell judging from the car crash downtown austin its safer than going to a music festival!

im pretty worked up about it, I feel like when I was a kid on my way to pick up my first mx bike, never ridden one but I just knew in the bottom of my heart it was going to be the best thing ever......it was/is I just got dis heartened when I wrecked a street bike and watched my pro-am career flush down the tubes when I was just breaking into the part of the sport where I had sponsors and started getting paid. I am approaching skydiving with no intention but to have fun same with base if I ever get that far. no plans on being the next jeb corliss or jokke summer just a different way to get my knees in the breeze ;)

im already obsessed reading reviews on gear and putting together a wish list of everything besides actual rig since I need to learn more about wingloading and chute sizes before i pick out a pretty container that wont fit what i need to start with :P

great! :)
Though many will disagree with me, I believe it's important to do your research and know lots of things before starting. However, do not let it cloud your judgement and clarify all things with your instructor first.

During ground school for AFF1, I was asking all sorts of questions about things that weren't covered, like thermals, sudden wind gusts, different aeroplane exit to what I was taught, etc... and an experienced jumper actually complimented me for clarifying all these.

Really, take your time in the sport, and enjoy the journey. The view when the plane door opens is very different from how it looks like youtube (and the emotions that go with it).

All the best in your journey! :)

thanks!

ive got 1300 in the bank atm, at texas skydiving center its 1200 to do 1-7 and a packing class, groundschool, SIM and log book is included, its the best deal ive found so far

I was interested to try to find out what it takes to pack mains?

from what i understand I dont need a riggers ticket unless I was packing reserves. is there any qualifications to pack mains?

I am slightly limited on funds due to being between jobs and dont want to pick up a job just to quit in 2 months when I leave for training for my new job :/

I am going to talk to the DZ staff once I get my 7th jump done about toilet scrubbing trash picking upping etc. and of course ill be selling off everything unrelated sporting wise after my first jump, anyone want a good radar detector/nice paintball setup/frettless base guitar? ;D