mifisher67

Returning to sport after 20 years

Any guidance or feedback for me? My last jump was almost 20 years ago and I stopped jumping after 92 jumps in 1995- I have my B license, but can't remember how to pack my chute, spotting, landings etc... I've already read the SIM manual btw... Is it a quicker learning curve for me with my prior experience?

If you don't remember any of that stuff it'd probably be best just to enroll in an AFF course and start from scratch. That way you don't miss any of the differences from the last time you jumped. What you do once you graduate from AFF is up to you. I'd suggest a canopy course as soon as you're ready to set out on your own again.

If you have a vertical wind tunnel nearby, you could also go hop in there for 10 minutes or so, make sure you still remember stable falling and maneuvers and stuff.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Congratulations for making the decision to return to the sport. A lot has changed in 20 years and all for the good. If time has faded your memory about the basics of the sport 20 years ago it probably is a good idea to start over again and build upon your past experience. Your last jump was made in the last century and you are about to step out of an aircraft in the 21st century.

Lots of people have gone through long layoffs from the sport and have recently gotten back in. Some had layoffs due to work or family and others from injury or illness. One thing in common with most all retreads is that no matter what their experience or skill level the wise ones got back in the sport by going through a prescribed retraining program. Find a good student oriented DZ, let them know your past experience, future goals in the sport, and then enroll in a training program. Be safe, get retrained, and get ready for the best times ever in the sky.
www.geronimoskydiving.com

I recently returned to the sport after 30 years off, 112 jumps way back when. The advice above is spot on what I ended up doing. Consider just a little bit of tunnel time for confidence sake on falling stable as suggested. Plus your back is probably stiffer than two decades prior. Then start over with AFF. Your DZ might let you progress a little faster depending on how you do. Keep going, you will love it once you get back into it. Bittersweet for me, all those wasted years!

The feedback you've been given above is good. Best advice IMO is talk to the staff at the DZ of your choice and WELCOME back! You really should check out "Skydiver Resurrection Award" (SRA) on Face Book. They are a loose group of skydivers who spent at least 10 years away from the sport and them "came back". Fun people!

I did 8 jumps, 4 jumps each on 2 consecutive days (the first two of which were with an instructor to demonstrate exit and freefall proficiency). Several of the jumps were videod and the feedback after seeing the tapes helped me on each subsequent jump. I also jumped student rigs that are about 50 ft larger than my personal equipment. The skillls are coming back really quick. I appreciate everones input!

I did 8 jumps,

Then by your OP, that means you now have exactly 100 jumps!. So go back and update your profile. Then buy us all beer. Then go down to the store, buy a coconut cream pie, take it home, unwrap it, and smash it into your face. Post pic here.

Andy9o8

I did 8 jumps,

Then by your OP, that means you now have exactly 100 jumps!. So go back and update your profile. Then buy us all beer. Then go down to the store, buy a coconut cream pie, take it home, unwrap it, and smash it into your face. Post pic here.

Waiting !!!!!