Napalm_C

Hello

Greetings to one and all, I've been reading these forums for a while now and have finally decided to take the plunge and properly introduce myself.

My name is Chris and I live in Cyprus. We have a small weekend only DZ with a BN2 Islander which takes 9 of us up to 10k in about 25 minutes :P needless to say that getting 7 lifts in a day is a rarity.

I did a static line course back in 2006 having gotten bored of flying gliders (no decent thermals around here back then). I had gotten stuck on 10s delays 10 jumps in and had to take a 2 year break to finish my studies abroad.

Returned to the sport in 2008 for another 20 jumps where I qualified for my A-licence and attempted a couple of FS1 jumps. Needless to say, having progressed from flying alone it was quite the surprise when I kept on backsliding about 20m away from the coach whenever grips were released. This led me to fly to the UK for an intense 40 minute tunnel session in one day.

Unfortunately it was then another 4 years almost until my next jump which was quite frustrating, this was due to a low-paying job and having to take care of rent/bills etc.

I had filled out all my paperwork and paid all registration fees in 2011 in order to get back in the sport, unfortunately, 2 days before my first jump back I managed to tear several ligaments in my right shoulder playing football (soccer to all you American folks) and so it was another year before I finally plucked up the courage to get back in the sky.

Thankfully physiotherapy has helped to keep my shoulder stable and I started jumping again in April of 2012. I have since completed my FS1, performed several 3,4,5 & 6-ways as well as a few tracking dives of no more than 4 people.

I can honestly say that I have caught 'the bug'. My life now revolves around skydiving and I finally understand the true meaning of the phrase: "I work to live, I do not live to work!" I find myself ecstatic Friday-Monday, moody on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and itching to get back in the sky on Thursdays.

With 115 jumps to my name so far I still consider myself a newbie and am always looking for simple 'drill-dives' to perform with like-minded people. Due to the low altitude we do not get much freeflying done and I am quite happy becoming proficient at belly work before even considering moving forwards to other disciplines.

I spent the last 10 days at work reading the 'Scary stories from the old days' thread and wanted to say a very big thank you to all you that are still around for making the sport what it is today. I also really appreciated the fact that that thread gave me a better understanding of the history of our amazing sport especially as it relates to the people involved and the trials and tribulations they went through. I must agree, students nowadays (myself included) have it very easy indeed.

I have since cut back on going out for drinks and dinners and have learned how to cook for myself - all in the pursuit of more cash available for jump tickets. I have found all my old whuffo friends have gotten sick of me talking about skydiving and only see them once every couple of months. However, the satisfaction gained every weekend and the 'family' I have found in this sport more than makes up for this loss.

Once again thank you to you all, I plan to be jumping for decades to come and hope to run into some of you if I ever make my way across the big blue pond.

On a side-note: The site doesn't have Cyprus listed as a country so I was forced to select Greece, any chance we can change that?

:)

Welcome to the forums! :)
Oh, and if you want Cyprus added, just make a thread in the Suggestions forum and ask for it.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ok folks - here's a couple of pics to give you an idea of the location.
Be warned though - I only have pics off a couple of jumps so I'm not doing the DZ justice but will see if I can get some off other people.

The first one 86-04 is a picture of our old lady Hotel Delta's underside.

The next two are just to give you an idea of what the area looks like - oh yeah, did I mention that all these pics are from the first weekend of December? We don't really get downtime due to it being too cold :)
And that's me in the black helmet and blue jumpsuit.