stangbanger856

new guy from south jersey

Hello everyone, I'm CJ and new to the site an the sport. I live in south New Jersey and local to Freefall Adventures D.Z. located in Cross Keys NJ. So far I have 2 Tandem jumps but allways wanting to go more when money permits.

I might as well explain why I want to get involved in skydiving and it started when I was a kid. I used to make parachutes for my G.I. joes as a kid and would climb the highest tree I could find and throw them from the top. After that I became more and more intrested to the point my family nicknamed me "bird" because all I wanted to do was fly like a bird.

I then got into drag racing and spent many, MANY years and thousands of dollars building fast mustangs (hence my user name). But I allways wanted to get into skydiving now that I'm older and fairly content with the condition and looks of my car Im makeing a real step to get into this.

So far I jave only made 2 tandem jumps but cant wait to make more.

hi bird, welcome to the forums and skydiving,
i haven't jumped cross keys but have only heard good reviews of them, nice choice.
at the same time im also inside their facebook group.
cj, know that skydiving isnt as expensive as rebuilding stangs and now you can do 120mph- 200mph, legally!
we're not old, were experienced. peace friend.
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

Thanks guys. I didn't know FFA had a facebook page, ill have to look them up.

Yes. Jumping would be a lot cheaper in the long run but I just love to turn wrenches and build faster and faster cars. Nothing like blowing by Lambos and Turbo Porches and the look of shear amazement,lol.

I don't want to start my AFF jumps now because of it getting colded and.colder out so I'm gona wait till the spring. But I do want to make another tandem jump with my GF before the seasonis over.

Everyone, basically, recommends you talk with your trainer about this one because they will see your control of their rental equipment, and have an idea what you could really handle.
Then, newer jumpers, self included, are supposed to keep a 1:1 wingload, or less. (SIM) Your exit weight completely geared up to jump : the square foot size of the main canopy. 245:245 +/-
This becomes difficult as there isnt as much big gear, out there, in the used market, but it does exist. Remember your first gear can be a little bigger and thus forgiving. After all it is used and after 50-100 jumps you will know what you really want in new gear.
Hope it helps.
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

What up bird, hey man I did my first jump at Cross Keys back in 2008 and I am originally from NJ. I had that same issue that I believw e we allhave with money. It is REALLY expensive to start but the rewards are amazing. Just wait until you do your first solo jump with two instructors its going to be wayy better then tandem. You will never look back i can promise that. I live in Baltimore now and I am also a AFF student (SOLO Status now, sorry had to toot my own horn becuase so happy i made it this far) at Chambersburg, PA. I am on my Cat F jumps now and soon to be done. I have been sized for my jumpsuit but have not brought it yet things keep getting in the way. I am hoping that I can finish before the weather get too too bad because to be a student you can not go 30 days without jumping (all about muscle memory). But once you get your A license I believe you can jump anytime (ask the Instructors about that one). Hope to see you in the sky one of these days bruh! BlueSkies and ARCH!

Life finds its purpose and fulfillment in the expansion of happiness

--- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Hey vcarter. I did my aff last fall at Chambersburg. I really like the DZ. I moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis early this year for a new job. Wish I were still jumping at Chambersburg though. Hope you got to jump with Grant. He is a great instructor and did all but 1 of my AFF jumps.

yea man i have jumped with just about everyone there besides the lady owner instructor (cant rememebr her name to save my life). I jump mostly with Van nowadays, i think jumping with Henry is the best because he records all his students so i get to see myself for free. and if i want to i just video record on my phone from the go-pro and i get a free vid sometimes! or i just toss them something to keep the vid. Its so cool seeing yourself on camera and cool pics i love it. I want to get into video recording eventually and then teaching for real. of course that a LONG TIME from now though.

Life finds its purpose and fulfillment in the expansion of happiness

--- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Welcome Stangbanger! I heard one of my previous instructors tell someone just this past weekend to save up at least 1/2 the money that it will cost to get your A license. That way you can continue to jump one after another w/o having to worry about money and possibly having to go 3-4 weeks in between jumps! Muscle memory makes a huge difference! I didn't do that! I just hand my Credit Card to Manifest and pay it off every couple weeks!

Blue Skies!
"When you enjoy the time your wasting, your not wasting time" ~ Undecided