Raistlin

Raven I

All the ride-your-reserve talk lately has led me to think there's gonna be that one time I'm going to be suspended under my old Raven I 181, mfd 10/92.

A quick search around has produced ridiculously little input... Precision only lists Raven Dash-M, Super Raven, Micro Raven, Raven MZ. I have heard of Raven II, Raven III, Raven IV, and own Raven I. What are the differences between the latter four?

Can someone who has flown specifically a Raven I loaded lightly at about 1.1, preferably from the early 90s, share their experience at what was the ride like, how it landed, etc?

Thanks!

The other Ravens (II, III, IV) are larger, and were used as both mains and reserves. I jumped a Raven III for 900 jumps at a w/l of about 0.67:1. My present reserve is a MicroRaven, loaded at about 1.18:1. 1.1 is not a "light" w/l on these F-111 canopies. It's probably a good size for a reserve, and too small for a Raven main. Ravens have a reputation of stalling quite abruptly when heavily loaded (over maybe 1.3?), but I haven't jumped them at that loading.

Raven I is 181 sq ft. The Raven II is 218 sq ft, etc. The number just depicts a larger size.

IMHO the Raven I is the best flying Raven that I have landed and that I have observed land.

I used to have a 1990 Raven I. It gave me 3 saves. Flew great lightly loaded. And I started a collection of nifty T-Shirts.

As long as it checks out with your rigger during I & Rs, it should treat you just fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Since your Raven - I, was mfgd. in 1992, it would be a 'Super Raven - I'. Prior to the advent of 'scooped' leading edges on parachutes, the 'original' Ravens, were not 'scooped' at the leading edge but, were more 'straight' cut. There were incidences where openings were either slow or non-existant. Precision came-up with the 'bikini-slider'. Triangular shaped portions of material were removed from the front and back portions of the slider. Looked like a bikini. This allowed more air to get to the parachute allowing for 'better' openings. When Precision started producing the 'Super Raven' line, they discontinued the 'old -style' Ravens. Hope, this helps.

Chuck

Can someone who has flown specifically a Raven I loaded lightly at about 1.1, preferably from the early 90s, share their experience at what was the ride like, how it landed, etc?

I have a Raven 1 DOM 1989 that I deployed at terminal in '93 (approx wing loading 1.0) at Hollister, CA. Canopy ride was fine and the flare was good.

Foggy